Chemo mix and me so far

Sorry bit of a pointless post.

I had my first chemo mix treatment 9 days ago and its not been an easy week or so. It seems that everything that could have happened has happened. An A&E visit, antibiotics, all the side effects going ( you get the picture)! A sore throat like nothing I’ve ever had before, think razor blades and then some.

Today I feel human again and am determined to enjoy the 12 days before the second cycle. I’ve had issues with food but thank god drinking hasn’t been an issue this time other than the sore throat.

No hair loss yet, I have an obsession with testing it. I know this will come and I’m prepared for it, shopping for scarves etc.

All in all I was totally knocked sideways by the side affects and underestimated what this time would be like.

Onwards and upwards.

Hi Erin

No post on here is ever pointless, and it's good to hear from you again.  You may have had a very tough week or so but your spirit has not been knocked and it's great to hear you saying you are going to enjoy yourself. Do hope you begin to pick up and feel more human, and hopefully the next cycle won't be so bad. How many do you have to have? Hope the hair loss isn't too traumatic and that you manage to find a look you feel good about. Do keep posting, your contributions are valued. Big hugs xx

Hi Erin 

rachel is right nothing is pointless 

was wondering how you was doing sorry to here that the chemo mix has had some side effects everybody is different and maybe the next cycle will be better it's a case of trial and error to begin with I've started to use Mint Cordysl none alchoholic mouth wash for my sore mouth which seems to have worked over the last 2 cycles hang in there it takes a week or so to get feeling a little back to normal it's nice to have 2 weeks of some normality that's the time to pamper yourself 

i agree onwards and upwards 

love Michelle xx 

Thank you both for your replies.

I won't lie, I have had days of sitting and crying over the last week. I have hidden in dark corners under a blanket and spoken to no one for hours feeling very sorry for myself. 

I have difflam for the sore mouth and throat and it has helped no end, and gradually the fat heavy diet is picking up again, still being anemic my body is struggling. I have no iron tablets, no supplement no nothing to help with this other than eating what I can that is contained naturally.  

I have already decided that I will control my hair loss and am Braving the shave in the next few days. At least then it may help somewhere with a few pounds raised. Its also to give my children some power in this too as they as dying it first. 

Pamper time would be lovely, what I don't know but I will think of something.

Thank you both again. Xx

Hi, I went through hell with my trearment i was so poorly it's unreal. I was also severly anemic and had iron tablets but they made me so constipated that when I did eventually go it was so painful I would cry and I couldn't leave the toilet for hours because my body wanted to empty because of not being able to go for days - I use to go once a week it was that bad. 

With your hair don't shave it cut it really short and then let it fall out on its own that's what I did and my hair was down my back - mine came out after my 1st treatment leading up to my 2nd I cried out of frustration as I want we to tie my hair back as it had thinned so much but every time I touched it lumps would come out and I just wanted to style it but it wouldn't let me....I know what your going through. I found the chemo hats the best as they're no hassle stick it on and its warm and you can sleep in them. When I did lose my hair I kept getting cradle cap and found washing my head in baby shampoo helped - I now use a sensitive shampoo as although my hair has geown back i have a very dry scalp.

with the sore mouth and throat I found ice lollies wee a god send! They help with the inflamination and help soothe as well - they're also helping you get sugar into your system for energy :-), tesco do some nice ones. 

if you want any advice or talk one on one just message me x

Hi Erin :-)

It's good to hear from you :-) Sorry you aren't having the best of times just at the moment - as you say, Onwards and Upwards :-) And as someone else said, 'This too shall pass' Nothing is ever pointless on here, except of course spamming nutters :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you Carmel and Tivoli,

I'm not one for faffing and stressing with my hair, for me the process being drawn out will just annoy me. I'm also a fiddler and will just pull at it until its gone, probably making my head very sore along the way. The colour is chosen and this weekend will see the deed done. 

I will have a look at the chemo hats, they sound fab. Buffs are also on my hit list for this weekends attempt at a shopping trip. 

As you say Carmel, having ice lollies in the freezer helps with the mouth and throat too. We have a draw full of different ones in the hope there is always something that appeals. Melon seems to help to and has the bonus of being watery so helps with fluids on a bad day. 

Apart from still being weak, the worst is over for now and hopefully next round won't be so horrendous. 

Xxx

I found that the more treatment I had the worst I felt but I learned to bounce back quicker with it - just rest as much as you can and on a good day enjoy it and make the most of it xx

That's the same as I was during treatment last year. I am hoping though that bloods won't be as low before next weeks dose given that that the cold sores I've had for weeks have gone. Fingers crossed that will give me even a small chance for feeling even a tiny bit less awful. We will just have to see, 1 day at a time and all that jazz xx