Chemo eve....

Well, tomorrow sees me start the first of 3 cycles of chemo in a bit to hopefully shrink my tumour (7cm) prior to starting my chemo-radiotherapy and brachytherapy. I’ve packed all the kids bags for them going to family for the day and sorted my own with some magazines etc… It’s finally beginning to feel very real, and the nerves are kicking in (or could that just be the strong painkillers I need to take each nite to ease the pain haha) today has felt like my last day of normality, catching up on housework and washings, and spending good quality time with my babies…in reality I know nothing much may change, but at same time in the next step in this battle!!
So any hints or tips to get my through my first round of chemo would be appreciated, I have 7 hours of treatment to endure tomorrow!!

Love and we’ll wishes xx

Hi. I guess you are having a different chemo to most of us on here, however I'm sure your needs will be the same.  If you're having 7 hours of treatment,  you will probably be there nearer 8 hours. You need to take into account them putting a canula in and giving you anti sickness meds and steroids first. If it's the same process as cisplatin,  you also have to wait for them to change bags for a flush and to put fluids in too. All this adds time :( oh and if you're anything like me, when you go to the loo you will possibly knock the machine off and have to wait for a nurse to put it back on.

Other things: take your phone charger with or laptop charger or whatever electrical device you are taking.  Books, magazines or anything to keep you occupied. Snacks are good too.

Keep hydrated

Take a shawl or something that you can wrap round you or over your arm as it gets cold. 

Most of all, don't worry x 

Ps, my tumour was 7cm and at my 6 week check a couple of weeks ago I was told there was no obvious sign of it x 

Hi lt,

i had my second chemo session yesterday as part of interlace trial it's a mixture of two types of chemo given over a three hour period with fluid however it's a long day. You have to arrive at 8am to get bloods taken once they get results back the dr has to issue prescription for drugs to go to pharmacy and pharmacy then has to get prescription ready for chemo suite so after bloods I went to hospital cafe and had a cup of tea and flapjack, had a little walk outside then went to the chemo day room there is comfy seats outdoor area, books, mags, to and drinks machine. 12ish went into chemo suit to get canular in etc and they started my fluids however major delays with pharmacy and I didn't get my chemo drugs till newly 4!!! And was hooked up till 6.45pm!! Very long day. I read my whole book!! Played on iPad etc. The treatment itself is fine and the nurses are always checking to make sure your ok there is plenty of food available on my ward and a mobile shop that comes round too. I'm on steroids and can't stop eating lol!! So far I have felt OK after both of my chemo sessions but the nurse has said its a bit of a acumulative effect as the chemo stays in your body for three weeks so effects of it can build over time.  I like you suffer with pain at night and last week found it eased after the first chemo but period started on thurs night that put an end to that but I did ask nurse yesterday if maybe the steroids had helped with pain and she said they could do as they do have anti inflammatory proprieties, but she also said that the chemo starts working straight away so they would be hoping that by the end of these week there would be a reduxement in the pain I have been having!! 

Good luck today I'm sure it will all go fine for you xx

Hi LT I wish you all the best for today and hope it all goes well for you. It is a long day but the time flies by because everyone is so busy and lots going on. You will also meet some lovely people on your journey. Take some snacks I found I got hungry probably after the steroids lol You get lunch and drinks and buscuits throughout the day too. I took a headache my first day it takes ages to get painkillers from the pharmacy so it was quicker for me to take my own Paracetamol. Philleepa is right your arm does get cold when the drugs are administered  so the shawl is a good idea.

I will be thinking about you Good luck!! Lots of love xx

Well I survived!!!! Had a major meltdown once I was seated in chair and just as they went to canulate me.... First day wobbles I guess, all became very real!!! But as you have all said everyone is lovely, they pulled screens round me and reassured me etc then started.. Had some issues getting line in, I appear to have very tiny sensitive veins so took a bit of a reaction, hand was swelling as it was being flushed and pain was making me faint, but another attempt on the other hand with another nurse and I was soon sorted. Ur right, the others having treatment are also so lovely, once I opened curtains and was settled they obviously could see I was the new girl and they chatted away making me feel at ease! I received a blanket as I was cold and also an electric heat pack as I had quite a bit of pelvic pain today and I was all sorted. In the afternoon I was also offered therapy and I had a lovely reflexology treatment on my feet, I actually think I dozed off during it...woke towards the end with my drip bleeping!! My whole day there lasted from 9-5ish but that was including getting started, pre meds, pre fluids, one chemo drug then fluids and a flush then second lot of chemo drugs.

I was certainly up and down to the bathroom A LOT which is an effort when u have ur spectating drip stand accompanying you! And must be the steroids but I munched on chocolate and sweets all day haha! 

Was surprised at how quick the day went!  I was really drained towards end and on way home, although I'm sure the reflexology added to that!  Spend some time with the kids before bedtime and felt good, but defo time.for bed now and will see how the next few days go...I'm armed with my anti sickness drugs and steroids, hoping to have my hair cut into a nice short style this week too, another part of the journey!!!

Thanks for all the well wishes and support today girls!!  1 down...yaaay!!! 

Xxx

I'm so pleased that it wasn't an ordeal for uou. I think the chemo ward is a realisation that there is something wrong with you!

Are you there next Tuesday? 

No not back for 3 weeks and as this was a wee cheeky squeeze in my day will change to a Fri for the next two sessions. 

It's amazing to think that u have only one treatment every 3weeks but that it's working (hopefully)  during that time. I must say that I have real bad pain at nights and need hot waterbottle and strong painkillers and my bed to lie down but I'm in no where near as much pain as I have been!  Maybe the steroids, maybe the chemo, maybe the reflexology...Maybe all in my head. Although I've taken the painkillers and water bottle as a precaution!!

Really glad it went well for you, I do think that first session is a real kind of this is really happening moment. My pain sounds very similar to yours and at night I have electric blanket and heat packs but like you said I felt instant relief after first chemo session I get three days worth of steroids to take while I am having my weekly chemo and over weekend my pain was quite bad but my period started but because I'm on anti bleeding medication my period is struggling lol anyway chemo yesterday and pain has subsided again i saw the consultant today who said all my bloods were great and he did say the steroids do have anti inflammatory properties so they do help with pain but he also said the chemo gets working straight away so he is hoping by the end of this week I should be noticing less pain anyway and he will be redu my anti bleeding medication next week.  

I am also eating like a horse with the steroids!! But I figure I need to as I have lost so much weight lol

My 10 month old has tonsillitis booo so mummy is missing snuggles he seems to be growing so quickly at the moment and he is getting little curls but he is such a happy boy he doesn't seem phased at all by everything that's going on.

hope the next few days go well for you I'm heading off back to sleep after my midnight steroid munchies!!

Thanks for all replies girls,  yesterday was a good day and other than slightly tired I felt OK, I managed to go to my baby group with Pippa and in the afternoon I went for the chop at hairdressers and got my shoulder length hair cut to a short crop, felt like it was taking some control back and chopping it my decision not cancers, if that makes sense! Also hoping it makes the hair loss less traumatic, maybe!! 

Today isn't so good, feeling bit sicky and really drained, my hubby has taken kids out to let me sleep and rest and whilst it's getting me down not being able to play supermum today I know I really do have to rest up today, with the hope of a better day tomorrow! 

Oh louisemdm I hope your little one is well soon and you can get those snuggle Huggles, I know how much they mean to us and our little ones!!  

Xx

Glad your feeling ok LT, I had my hair cropped i've been told to expect hair loss this week so I'm noticing every strand lol!!

third chemo done and I can't believe how well I feel 2 days without taking a pain killer i can't believe how much the pain was actually running me down and draining me. And also a huge sense of this stuff must be working for such a dramatic change in my pain to have happens already.

little one made a good recovery had a lovely family weekend and enjoying spending a bit more time together with all the kids just a bit more normality for us all which is nice.