CGIN treatment & Skip Lesions

Hello everyone,

I have recently had a Cone Biopsy for high grade CGIN. The Margins were clear and I was told 6 month follow up. 

I have seen that a lot of women get advised to have a hysterectomy due to the incidence of skip lesions which can occur in 10-15% of cases. My Oncologist Gyn did tell me about skip lesions and I ofcourse read about them. I am now concerned about this.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this; what were you advised etc

Thankyou :) 

Jen xx

Hi Jen

So I was advised to have a hysterectomy but then I had not only CGIN but also 1b2 squamous cancer. Without the CGIN I would have been a good candidate for trachelectomy but given that I had CIN which had turned malignant it seemed risky to take any chances with CGIN. Just wanted to clarify that, as I did make a post about skip lesions earlier this week on another thread and my circumstances are obviously very different to someone with just CGIN. As it turns out the pathology on my uterus came back clear :-) skip lesions are a risk but a relatively very small risk, your consultant knows your case the best, but if you're unsure you could ask for a 2nd opinion? xXx

Hi,

How big was your cone and how clear were your margins? I had a cone biopsy for high grade CGIN 7 weeks ago. The surgeon took 2.4cm of my cervix away. I had a small 6/7mm lesion of CGIN on the outside of my cervix that was picked up by a smear. I knew about it for several months before the cone as I had had punch biopsies taken. Anyway, the lesion did not grow or change in that time period before the cone biopsy, and that was all that was found in the cone sample. The whole of the rest of the cone biopsy sample was healthy tissue. No CIN or anything else. I therefore only have about a cm or slightly more of my cervix left. As you say the possibility of skip lesions is very small anyway and given how much of my cervix is left I am not concerned about this at all. The risks of major surgery and in a pandemic far outweigh the miniscule chance of me having a skip lesion. My surgeon did also state that it was VERY unlikely in my case and a hysterectomy was not mentioned at all and I am 46. In fact I doubt I would be able to convince him to perform one given my results. I personally consider this whole nightmare to be over as far as I am concerned and consider myself to be one of the very lucky ones on this forum!

Hello!

your cone sounds quite similar to mine. He did a very large cone biopsy and only left a small amount of cervix behind. Clear margins. Only CGIN, no CIN.

Your experience is reassuring, thank you!

Jen xx

This is positive news , my daughter has cign awaiting cone biopsy or lletz , I'm terrified it has spread and will need a hysterectomy