Cervical biopsy

Good evening, 

I am just looking for a bit of reassurance more than anything. I had my second smear test last month and got a letter saying I had high grade (moderate) dyskaryosis. I was invited for a colposcopy which I went for yesterday. I found the whole experience very rushed and couldn’t ask the questions I wanted to. They took a biopsy and said the results would take about 4 weeks. I wanted to ask why they couldn’t do any treatment for the abnormal cells whilst I was in for the colposcopy. I am now paranoid that having a biopsy means it’s cancer? My first smear test 3 years ago came back clear so I am hoping it’s just abnormal cells that are maybe precancerous and just need removing.  

Thanks,

Amy x 

Hi Amy,

I can't fully understand why as I'm still kinda new to it all too and I had my first biopsy in Australia in August last last year. From what I understand and my previous experience is my gyne there just sent off my biopsy to see if any further action would be needed. It turns out from those results it's was some kind of benign tissue. 

I was told to follow up with another smear test 6 months later and was referred for another colposcopy last week due to high risk moderate dysklarosis. She performed the LLETZ procedure there and then and was super helpful and it was over and done with. I asked a million questions and one so I'm always happy to try and share what I know if you like. 

My experience is totally different to yours (yet similar) but I would assume it's because they wouldn't want to offer you treatment if it isn't totally necessary. 

It's so much easier said than done but I'd just try and remain as positive as possible for your biospy results to come back :) 

Let me know how you get on with your results xox

Hi

such a similar situation to mine only I was referred after bleeding after sex. My GP was not concerned about it being cancer at all and thought my cells would just need cauterising and believed they would just do it there and then so I expected this and instead came back with having a biopsy taken from two areas. Also told me to wait 4 weeks and I’m stressed to the max. Felt like I’ve been in a different world for two days :-( 

i hope you get your results soon xx

Hi, i had my first colposcopy and biopsy last year for hpv positive & she could see some minor abnormalities.  The biopsy came back but they hadn't taken enough to tell how abnormal the cells were but was told not to worry and she would see me in a year for a smear rather than go back to GP.  Went back yesterday, the smear turned into a colposcopy which then was another biopsy as the cells still looked abnormal (usually borderline abnormal go away on their own apparently).  She said about offering treatment but wouldn't be until after my biopsy results were back.  I think this is because different grades of abnormality & different amounts require different treatment and they don't want to under/over treat.  Her words about the treatment she would give me were "it's a bit like egg poaching your cervix" :)  my dr has been fab though, always reassuring & telliing me not to worry.  

So, sometimes I think they wait for biopsy results to know they are offering the right treatment.  but don't worry that beecause they have taken a biopsy that its cancer, as I know they take biopsys for a number of reasons.