Can I request yearly smear? HPV+

Hi everyone. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I had a colposcopy after testing HPV+ three years in a row. They could only find inflammation and didn’t recommend treatment (no cell changes). It also said I could go back to having a smear every three years. Because I’m HPV+ this hasn’t sat well with me. Before I speak to someone tomorrow just wondered if anyone has been in a similar position and can request to go back to yearly smears out of choice? I might go private if not.

Hi,
When I spoke to gynaecologist last week after my LLETZ, we spoke about hopefully if it has worked and they have got rid of the cells at my 6 month smear then I would go back to 3 yearly smears which like you doesn’t sit well with me ( I went from no hpv+ /abnormal changes to cin2/3 in 3 years) I asked if I could request yearly smears and she said I wouldn’t be given them unless I had any symptoms! I find it a bit ridiculous to be honest as I feel I should have been put to yearly smears ever since I had my last one which goes to show how quickly it escalate in between, I believe if I had of then it wouldn’t have got to this stage.

I’m you got look into going private just for peace of mind.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It’s really surprising for guidance to be that relaxed for something like that! I think I will go private if I don’t get the answer I want. Is that what you will do too?

1 Like

I know it’s really shocking, surely it would be in their best interest financially to just do yearly smears on women who are HPV + rather than have to spend money on any cancer treatment that may be needed, it must cost more surly? :woman_shrugging:

Yes, I’m definitely going to go private just for peace of mind, i just need to look into who provides testing for cell changes along side of hpv as I’ve read that some just test for hpv only.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Best of luck with it! It’s stressful enough without worrying something will be overlooked because it’s too late :frowning:

1 Like