Called in early

Mum has been called in early for her post treatment follow up following her scan. 

She had scan mid May, and was supposed to have follow-up on July 1st but has been called in on Monday. 

Has anyone been called in early and it not been bad news? This does not sound good at all. 

Doctor told her he was cautiously optimistic as he couldn’t see any visible tumour at her 6 week examination but now she’s been called in early we are obviously all very concerned. 

You don't say what treatment your Mum had. If it was radiotherapy it could be that the treatment has not yet completed its work and they want to follow her up earlier because of that.

Monday not so far away so you will know soon. If it isn't good news there are further treatment options available.

Karen 

Thank you for replying so swiftly! 

It was stage 2b with one lymph node involvement. 

I was feeling so positive after her 6 week check up that it really does feel like a blow to the stomach hearing this has been brought forward so preparing for the worst. 

Will try and stay as positive as possible 

Hi

It might just be something simple like a cancelled appointment that they are filling? Often hospital appointments are last minute.

Fingers crossed for you xxx

Hi

Exactly what Karen said happened to me in regards to the radiotherapy still working. If this is the case they put you on a different follow up process, I had to have another scan at 8 weeks after my 3 month scan then another scan 3 months after that and have finally just had a good result at over 8 months post treatment.

They could have seen what they call changes on the scan, this can be scar tissue/ radiation changes and they like another Scan to compare against or to biopsy so they can offer other treatment. I know how awful the waiting is and wish I could say something to make it easier for you and your mum but unfortunately the only thing that will give you the answers is the appointment, if it is just a cancellation then you could be getting positive feedback earlier than having to wait until July (which did seem a long wait from scan to appointment so maybe they have brought you forward) 

i wish you good luck for the appointment on Monday x

Just as an update, 

he brought her in early as there was an area they’re still concerned about and they’re not sure if it’s radiation changes / if it just needs longer or if they need to do the dreaded pelvic exoneration. 

Weeping Willow this sounds exactly like what happened to you isn’t it? 

They’re going to do another examination under anaesthetic on Monday and take some biopsies to see what the lay of the land is. 

Hi there sounds exactly the same as happened to me (4 years ago). Multiple scans /Eua and biopsies before finally getting all clear - 11 months post diagnosis. I even had the provisional date for surgery everything seemed to be so certain!

I was 2b.

Its hard at this point in time going through this with so many unknowns- but the medics have your mums best interest at heart and it’s goid they’re looking at this so quickly.

Best wishes

It is what happened to Weeping Willow and I am sure she will be in touch.

I have had the "dreaded exenteration" . It is doable but your Mum will need a lot of support. 

Hopefully it won't come to that..and we are here if it does.

Karen x 

Hi

I have replied to your message and it does just sound exactly like my situation and has taken me 9 months to finally get a good scan report.

They explained to me that various “changes” show on scans post treatment, that could be scar tissue, cell changes, inflammation or small amounts of cancer that need more time to respond. The waiting is such a worry and the support I have received I am just so grateful for so please keep chatting and I know you will get such good advice to get your mum through this, I thought it was only me but does seem fairly common especially with early scans and some of us just take that bit longer x