Brachytherapy

Good morning ladies,
I’m very happy to be nearing the end of my treatment (2 radio and 4 brachy to go). Just a couple of questions that I know some of you lovely ladies will be able to help with. Apart from all the obvious things to pack in hospital bag for brachy, nightwear, slippers, tablets, toiletries, phone, iPad, snacks, dressing gown, etc. Was there anything else you wish you had remembered?
Realistically, how much help will I need when I get out of hospital? And for how long?
Lastly, I know everyone is very different on this one but how soon did you return to work? I work at a school and was really hoping to get back for the start of the new term. This would give me exactly 8 weeks. Thanks in advance ladies and I wish you all the best whatever stage you are at on your journey.
X Maria

Hello! Definitely pack some lipbalm, my lips got so dry in hospital. To be honest the side effects vary from person to person. I would say just see how you feel and take your time. Go back when you are ready :-). This is a big thing for your body to go through. I went back to work about two weeks after my brachytherapy ended. Mainly because I needed to keep my mind occupied! All the best, Laura XX 

I took my phone and charger plus toiletries. Didn’t need a dressing gown as I was provided a lovely hospital gown.

Had the rods inserted under epidural ( didn’t want to be sleep ) and when they were removed the next day I was able to take a shower by myself and was given something to eat. After that I was sent Home and no help needed. The pain/pressure from the gauze and applicator was gone as soon as they took it out. 

It’s no fun at all but do-able. I didn’t use morphine either, managed on paracetamol. 

Oh and about going back to school/ work. The main side effect for me is lack of energy. Physically I am doing fine but I have no energy left ,I really need to rechargenso to speak 

Maria

so glad you’re almost done with treatment

did u recover from your ovaries surgery well? Was it a laparoscopic with the 5 slits?

i think everybody is different but for me I was tired a couple days after each brachytherapy and then i was ok. I think u should be ok in 8 weeks, just trust your body and know when you need to rest.

1. Thank you Laura, lip balm added to my growing list. Wow! Back to work after two weeks. Hopefully I should be ok after eight. 
    x Maria

Hi Rissage,

Yes surgery was done laparoscopically, just three slits. Originally they thought it could be a second cancer on the ovary or small bowel so was very thankful it turned out to be a simple ovarian cyst. Hard to go through surgery before all the treatment but thankfully recovery was good without any hiccups. So happy for you that you're finished all your treatment and doing ok. 
x Maria

Thank you Izzy, that sounds quite positive. I will be given general anaesthetic to insert the rods and they will stay in for 3 days. Really not a fan of painkillers so would hope to avoid the morphine too if I can. Hoping I might be ok with work. I don't start until 8:30, only a 15 minute drive and I finish at 3:30pm. It's full on when I'm there but at least it's not 12 hour days. 
x Maria

Maria, how are you doing? Hope everything went smoothly with your brachytherapy.