Brachytherapy-frightened!!

Finish my external rads this week and then straight onto 3 sessions of Brachy. (Thur/Tue/Thurs)

Can I ask for your experiences ladies? 

I know it has to be done, but man I am bricking it.

xx

After my experience I'd say there is no need for the anxiety. 

Mine was 2 treatments a week apart, both around 19 hours I think.

I was put under GA while the rods were inserted and although a bit uncomfortable, were more than bearable.  The 2nd time round , the catheter thing was uncomfortable but bearable. 

I was able to eat, drink,  watch TV,  play on my kindle, read, phone people etc - just in my back! 

Look at it like a spa day.

The removal of the rods was uncomfortable but with the help of gas and air and a very chatty nurse, it was over very quickly. 

I hope your experience is as good (?) as mine was x

Cheers lovely...it's the removal I'm concerned about! I did have packing and a catheter twice so I'm hoping it's not dissimilar x

Hi Flossie.

It sounds as if you are having the same sort of regime as I had. I finished my radiotherapy on the Wednesday and then went in as a day patient for Brachytherapy on the Friday, the following Monday and the last one was on the Wednesday. They were 08.30-09.00hrs starts, and I was usually out by mid afternoon. I was so anxious about it all beforehand, but the team put a lot of work in to keep me informed and involved before it happened, which helped a lot. I even had a tour of the Brachytherapy suite and met the nurses and my anaesthetist before my external radiotherapy had finished.

The first one was the worst for me, but only because I'd set it up in my head to be this scary thing and in the end, it really wasn't. The final two were a breeze after that because I knew what to expect. 

The staff were brilliant, full of kindness & good humour. They covered my pain control so well that I didn't really have to think about it, and there was additional gas & air for the packing & rods to come out. That bit is a bit uncomfortable rather than painful as such, but it's over in about 30secs so by the time you start to register that bit it's over and done with! The nurses work hard to distract and entertain then too!

My husband came to sit with me for the middle bit. (After you've had the anaesthetic & rods put in, been woken up, scanned and returned to where you started.) Waiting for the physicists to calculate the Brachytherapy dosage & timing is the longest bit of waiting with nothing much happening. (It's worth the wait though, you want them to get it right!) If you don't have a visitor to keep you company, that's the time when a tablet/ebook/music would be most useful to while the time away. You do have to lie there flat on your back with your legs akimbo trying not to move too much at that point. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else really.

It was nowhere near as bad as I expected, and not really bad at all. You'll be fine I'm sure, nearly there. You are on the home run now! 

Hi flossie 

i too was like you really bricking it but got the first one over and it was absolutely fine us ladies are made from tough stuff. I was really worried about the removal of the rods but I had no pain relief or gas and air and it was not sore at all you can feel it coming out but for me personally it wasn't painful maybe a bit if discomfort. Had another 2 done 1 week apart and I'd say I wasn't nervous about going back in for them as I knew the drill. This is very doable I'm sure you will be ok. Xxx

Hi

mine was pulsed rate , one treatment over 18 hours on 3rd January 

rods put in under anaesthetic, I woke up in discomfort, but immediately was given painkillers into my cannula.

mover to the brachytherapy suite, connected to the machine and the pain relief was administered by lovely nurses as often as I needed.

its a long and uncomfortable treatment, but doable and basically what is needed to finally zap the dreaded cancer.

so for one day of your life, is totally worth it.

i was petrified, but now, 2 weeks later, I’m comfortable and it’s a distant memory.

good luck and it will be over much quicker than you imagine x

Gals, thanks SO much. I start next Thursday so I'm trying to get loads of rest now external rads are over.

I think I'd have gone loopy if it wasn't for this forum and your amazing support.

xx

Hey 

I finished my 4th Brachytherapy yesterday.  I was bricking it too. I know everyones' different but I can honestly say I didn't have any bother at all  It was the removal I was worried about but some gas and air and it was fine I didn't have any pain at all. I was looked after at the Beatson in Glasgow and the nurses in ward B3 went out their way to make me feel at ease throughout the whole thing they really were brilliant. I just watched tv had my phone and slept.  Try not to worry.  X

Hey,

I had pulsed dose too. Had 50 hours straight after my rods were inserted. I had a fentanyl epidural which mostly controlled the pain. It wasn't  as bad as i was expecting. All the best.

Thanks again lovelies x

Hi Ladies I am new to this site/forum. I finished my chemo/rad therapy in dec followed by 2 sessions of brachytherapy.I wish i had found this site sooner as i could have done with some reassurance. I would like to reassure you it is not as awful as it sounds, and wish you all the best.

Thanks ladies! I had my first and am amazed at how worked up I'd got myself...it was fine. I was given oramorph about half an hour before rod removal and then they gave me gas and air too. I don't think I needed it, but I enjoyed the morphine trip. #groovybaby Laughing

Thanks again x

Hello ladies! I had my first brachy on Monday and I have to say the worst part about it is I've been feeling pretty icky since then. I don't remember a thing after leaving preop and being woke up to go home 5 hours later. He said they wake you up after inserting the rods but I either didn't wake up or I just don't remember it. I'm good with either lol. Second one is tomorrow, and I sure hope I don' feel this ickyness the whole 2.5 weeks during this. 

Glad you all had a positive experience. My first brachytherapy was fine, uncomfortable but topped up on pain relief. 

My 2nd/3rd were supposed be over 48 hours, applicators inserted on the Wednesday morning and removed Thursday evening. 

I went to theatre Wednesday morning, when I came round I felt like my bladder was on fire and being stabbed with something sharp, I was sweating, no pain relief was working. I started shaking with the pain. My consultant made the decision that if I could tolerate the pain for the day I would get treated and then remove everything and instead of keeping it in till the following day I would come back a day the following week. I went for my CT scan to plan dosage etc... pain still wasn’t easing up. 

in the afternoon everyone appeared at the time I was due to go to the brachytherapy suite and told me I wouldn’t be receiving any treatment afterall. I was taken an had everything removed with gas and air. 

It turns out my bladder is red raw from external radiotherapy and i have terrible cystitis symptoms. So Brachytherapy has been cancelle. I only managed to have 1 session successfully. 

Im now having an extra 6 doses of external radiotherapy instead.

if anyone has any tips on helping my bladder/cystitis symptom - please share. It’s absolute agony everytime I pee. My outer/inner vagina is all swollen also :( I’ll be glad when this is all over. Xx

Hi slallen81,

Sometimes ural or a urinary alkaliniser helps with the burning. Try to drink the 3 litres of water day to help flush the bladder more. Some find sitz baths helpful with the rawness to the perineum but it can sometimes make the cystitis worse. Some of the ladies have found that avoiding alcohol and caffeine can be of benefit. Quite a few of the ladies get ongoing problems with cystitis. Try posting in a new post and they might see your post. All the best. cystitis is irritating and painful. Xx

A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a large glass of water every morning along with plenty

of water dirimg the day will help

the bicarbonate makes urine alkaline, therefore it stings less

lyonsleaf calendula and marshmallow balm is amazing for foof soreness, you can buy it online from lyonsleaf 

amazing stiff and takes the heat out of every thing.

organic and pure

- it worked for me

good luck xxx

Hi. I was EXTREMELY! anxious about having brachytherapy, in full-on tears just talking to the doctor about it in the weeks prior to procedure. After chemo and exterior radiation, I had four brachy's, the short ones. The first one was a little tough b/c they wanted to see how much painkiller I needed. Once that was established, the next three were a BREEZE! Even the removal felt like just a little pressure, NO PAIN. Don't be afraid. The nurse said my body metabolized the painkiller (fentanyl) very quickly. The amount they gave me the first time wore off too soon, so the next three times they gave me a booster. The dentist has a hard time keeping me numb -- I should have told them that before the first brachy. But overall, it's nothing to stress over and it can keep the cancer from every coming back! DON'T WORRY!!! 

Hello. 
just thought after reading some real horror story's about brachytherapy, I'd put a positive one on to show it's not a tough as once thought. 
I know I was so worried, and had read some awful things, but I met with my nurse consultant and she put my mind at rest. I had 4 sessions. Each one 3 days apart. I had a general anaesthetic to have rods inserted. Day 1 I must admit took some sorting to get pain relief right.. but just ask if you are in pain.. they understand and give pain relief freely. After that I knew how much I needed to be comfy. I then slept on and off all until it was treatment time or chatted to my wife. Who was with me throughout ( except theatre and scans of course). Treatment was completely pain less.. a slight buzzing sensation if anything. Then rod removal.. I won't lie.. it's uncomfortable, but make use of the gas and air. It works really well and I felt nothing!!  If you'd asked me before if I could do it I'd have said no way... but I did!! And so you can you ladies. No it's not pleasant but it's completely doable!! I had my treatment at Colchester, I had the most amazing team who I can't recommend highly enough. Just incredible. Now the 3 month wait to see if it's all worked. Hope this helps a little. Xxx

Hi, I am due to have 3 weekly sessions of brachytherapy using an epidural instead of general anaesthetic, I am wondering what it is like to be given an epidural? I have never had one, I like so many others am petrified about the whole thing!!!

The epidural is a scratch. Cold spray, Knees up, shoulders back. Done. I'm the biggest pain freak going but I've had 3 c sections and 2 epidurals for brachy... You can do this. It's more scarey than it sounds. 

WWhile having the brachy remember you are in charge. If you need anything... Ask. Nothing is too much and nothing is too silly or trivial to ask for. If you don't like something... Say. Take back the control. Here for you if you need anything x

Keeley