Borderline Changes with high risk HPV and Minera Coil in place

Hi, I hope someone can put my mind at ease!
I am having a colposcopy tomorrow and panicking like mad.
From 2007-2013 I was having yearly smear tests at my Gp because my results kept coming back with borderline cell changes I was never seen in colposcopy throughout this time (it was never offered). In 2013 I had 2 tests that were inadequate however was advised that this was fine and that I would be followed up 3yrly. I went for my last test at the end of April 2016 and my results have come back showing borderline changes with high risk HPV. I am now worried that I have probably had borderline changes ever since first detected in 2007 however as this is the first time I have been screened for hpv does it mean I have had this for year’s without knowing? If so surely this increases my chances of something more sinister being found tomorrow? I am angry at myself as have been a 15 a day cigarette smoker for past 23yrs (although since my results 4wks ago I haven’t touched a cigarette) so this is adding to my cancer worries.
I apologise for the long winded post but so many things running through my mind! I also have my 2nd mirena coil in place which I love however it was excruciating having it inserted but worth the pain because my periods prior to the coil were awfully heavy and debilitatingly painful. Will they have to remove my coil?

Any advice appreciated

Hi Angel

The likelihood of borderline changes being something far more scary is statistically very low indeed. When there is HPV present, they may well refer for a colposcopy in order to have a better look, and given that you have had a number of borderline results, it's probably a wise precaution. I, like you, had borderline results and high risk HPV, and the colposcopy revealed CIN1 with some small, localised areas of CIN2 so they did decide to treat. If there is nothing much to see, however, they will normally watch and wait and ask you back in 6 months or a year to see if anything has changed.

You may have had the HPV for some time, but you've no way of knowing that really. If it's any consolation, my post-treatment 6 month check up showed a clear smear result and no evidence of HPV, so it can be got rid of. From everything I have read, staying off the fags is probably  a good plan though.

Unfortunately if you need treatment, they will have to remove your coil to do it. I don't think it has to be removed for the colpo, but I am not 100% sure as I don't have one. With a bit of luck someone else will come along who can answer that one for you.

Good luck for your colposcopy,hopefully it will just confirm the smear results and they will watch and wait ....

E