Back again! Bleeding after sex

Hey all,

Hope you’re all doing okay. I started bleeding constantly back in August 2022, I immediately got a smear test as I was overdue, and they found some abnormal cells. At the smear, I also had swabs taken for infections or sti’s and all came back clear. I was referred for a colposcopy due to the abnormal cells and had biopsies taken. Everything came back okay and I was discharged and told to attend my smear in 3 years as normal.

We put the bleeding down to my implant, which I then had removed as it was due. I changed to the pill, and the bleeding has stopped apart from when I have sex. After sex, usually quite soon after, there is blood clots in my pee. It’s making me worried that something has been missed. Unrelated to this, I had full blood work done, which all came back fine (no diabetes, thyroid etc.) only slightly lower levels of Vitamin D which I’ve been advised to take supplements for.

Does anyone know why I would still be bleeding after sex? It seems strange that everything has come back fine apart from some abnormal cells, but it’s still continuing, even though I’ve also changed contraception. Nothing was noted at my smear about a cervical ectroption either.

Has anyone experienced this before? I have major health anxiety so this is worrying me. I am booked in to be looked at again by the nurse but my mind is in complete overdrive, so I would appreciate anyone who has had a similar experience commenting.

Thanks,
KC

Hello, bleeding after sex needs to be investigated there ar many reasons why this could be and not all are because of abnormal cells but you need to find out the reason for it and don’t let your GP not give you a referral for a gynecologist. Good you have an appointment with the nurse but please push to be referred to a gynecologist. Take care

3 Likes

I’ve recently been referred onto a gynecologist for suspected endometriosis,
and bleeding after sex was one of my first symptoms that started about 4 years ago. I’m not here trying to diagnose you or anything, but its just an example of how there can be other reasons for the bleeding apart from cancer. I also completely understand how anxious you must be.
I’ve obviously been very concerned about my physical health over the past few years and because of this my mental health has really suffered.
I’ve always had clear smears, pelvic exams etc, so I found it very difficult to get answers at first, but you have to keep pushing.
Good luck with your appointment and please try not to let it play on your mind.

2 Likes

Thank you I will do, my doctors surgery have been fantastic in supporting me but I’ll ensure she refers me :slight_smile: thanks for your reply!

1 Like

Thank you so much for such a kind response, yeah I thought it could possibly be endometriosis or maybe a cervical ectropion (but she didn’t say anything at smear and doctor didn’t say anything at colposcopy) it’s very worrying as its constantly on my mind and it’s making my mental health struggle thinking it could be something serious! Glad I am going to see the nurse Monday and hopefully get some answers!

Hi iam 2 year positive for hpv i bleed heavily on and off all through i have the depo the pil and medication to take once i start bleeding again im a walking chemist im waiting for a operation thermal ablation because of the current situation im on a waiting list this is been ongoing for ages i bleed after sex. Its really getting me down because i keep thinking the worse. Like you i think theve missed something just keep on at your doctors i rang mine last week so anxious about it all. Thinking of you take care xx

1 Like

Bless you, I hope you manage to get your treatment soon. Looking online, my symptoms seem to be more ovarian cancer now than cervical, so I am going to be asking for a CT scan and C125 blood test when I visit the nurse on Monday. My health anxiety is through the roof, just want to know what the issue is so I can get some treatment!

2 Likes

Hope everything things gets sorted soon for you it really does effect your anxiety aswell constantly on your mind. Take care xx

how did you get on with you any further tests? x