Awaiting colposcopy- low grade changes

Last year I was told to have a repeat smear due to HPV being present even though no abnormal cells noted. I’d just had my first baby. I then got pregnant 3 months later. I had my follow up smear in July and was told I had low grade change. My question is could my body be struggling to fight the HPV because of my pregnancies which have been close together?. I have been very stressed and my health generally probably has been as good as it was pre pregnancy. I hope to improve my diet etc in the hopes my immune system will improve.

I do suffer with health anxiety but have not been overly worried about this result. Should I be ? I feel that if the changes have only occurred in less than a year it can’t be too advanced at present?.

Hi Rachel

During pregnancy your immune system is weakened, so it is possible that this is why the HPV has been persistent. Your smear has picked up low grade changes so I think your right not to be overly worried. Hopefully now you’re not pregnant your immune system will improve and you can get rid of the HPV.

xxxxx

Thanks for your reply :) I keep going round in circles wondering if I should be worried. It’s the wait times that are difficult. I waited three weeks for my smear results now 4 weeks for my colposcopy. I’m not physically worried about it as I’ve been poked and prodded down there more than I can remember in the last two years but I am kind of feeling like I just want to be left alone for abit ! I also debated now going and instead opting for a 6 month re test to allow my body to fight the virus without the need for possible unnecessary intervention. It was only exactly 3 months since I had my baby when I had my smear so I wondered if this might have an impact I also breastfed. 

I think that decision is totally up to you but if it were me I would go. If there is nothing too much to see they wil not have to do anything anyway. I know it’s more prodding and I totally understand the feeling of needing to left alone. 

Hope everything resolves whatever you decide. And yes the waiting is awful xx