After colposcopy….

I recently had a colposcopy after receiving an abnormal smear, there was borderline changes and hpv virus, when I attended my colposcopy the doctor said there was a large area of my cervix that needed treatment and so they did it there and then and took 4 biopsies, what I was wondering was that has anyone had only borderline changes and it turned out to be cancer? I just want some real stories from people who have gone through it, I wasn’t too concerned but from the diagram she drew, it seems there was a lot of the cervix area that was affected.

thank you in advance for your reply

xx

Hi @Cari2915

Smears arnt a diagnostic they are just used as a guideline to say whether you need a further investigation, the word dyskaryosis they use generally just translates into abnormal looking i.e low grade ‘abnormal looking’ moderate ‘abnormal looking’ etc and if CC was suspected it would say (?invasion) so even though its not a diagnosis its extremly unlikely that anyone would have a CC diagnosis off a borderline result, it would only be possible if someone made a mistake…

My first abnormal smear 2020 was borderline and when i had my colposcopy the whole of my cervix lit up like a christmas tree even the colposcopist was confused she even pulled a face and went ‘hmm im just going to take some biopsies’ and mentioned treatment at a later date… my results came back as CIN1 with a cervical ectropion and i was put on a 12 month follow up, an ectropion can make cells look alot worse than what they are… then my follow up smear was low grade but the colposcopy found CIN3

its alot more likely that they have found an ectropion making the cells look worse or its a higher grade of CIN than what the smear had indicated and extremly unlikely theyll find anything more than CIN xx

1 Like