‘Borderline’ changes and HPV

Hello! 

I’ve just received my smear results which told me I have HPV and borderline cell changes. I am waiting for a colposcopy appointment. 

I am trying my best not to worry which is easier said than done of course.

I’ve seen different accounts on what borderline changes actually means. Some people say it means the changes are very slight but others are going to their colposcopy thinking that they’re low risk after receiving a ‘borderline’ smear but coming back with CIN3. With that in mind, does borderline changes actually mean ‘there are changes, but we’re not sure how severe they are’? 

I am trying to take comfort in the fact that I had no cell changes detected in my 2020 smear so I’m hoping I’m right in assuming that it would be quite unlikely that I’ve gone from no abnormal cells to potentially having more severe changes in 12 months. 

Unfortunately my mind is working in overdrive and going back over my entire gynaecological history and worrying something might’ve been missed. I've had issues with bleeding after sex and painful sex for about six years. This was and the bleeding was explained by cervical ectropion but a physical cause for the pain could never be established. I had sex therapy (TMI - apologies) which did help with the pain so I'm reasonably reassured the pain was psychological. 

I feel so silly worrying about this. I think covid is not helping as I’m frightened about waiting times knowing how much pressure the local hospital is under. 

Thank you to anyone who has read this. Reading other peoples experiences has been so helpful. 

Update - My colposcopy is booked for the 1st of March... which might coincide with my next period! Not sure whether to move it now or take the chance. My cycles aren't perfectly predictable so I could be fine. Is it fair to call and let them know I can take a cancellation appointment if one comes up before then? 

Hello, I certainly don't intend to make you feel any worse, but I had my first abnormal pap in December 2019.  When the doctor did the colposcopy, he said it looked like no more than CIN1 (if that).  When my biopsy results came back, it was CIN3!  I had a LEEP in which removed all the abnormal cells, but I was in tears when I got that phone call.  Fast forward to over a year later and I'm doing much better.  Praying all will be alright :)