Affects on the bowel

Hi all,

I’m now 9th months post treatment, at 7 months post treatment I developed severe bowel pain and was put on a low fibre diet which worked a treat. Then abruptly 3 weeks ago I start getting severe bloating, kidney pain, bladder pain, a ripping pain in my stomach which is worse when I lay down on my back, stretch or lay on my sides. I CANNOT lay on my front. The strangest symptom was peeing bubbles but that has gone now.
It’s particularly bad at night and I am struggling to sleep. They have done urine and blood tests, everything came back fine.
I have a CT scan the soonest they can get me in on 5th September and I am terrified that they will say everything looks fine and I will have to live like this.

Can anyone relate? It’s always good to hear others experiences.
Sam x

1 Like

Hi @SamG

Thought I’d share my experience but I am not yet in treatment. I absolutely understand how CC can impact your bowel. If your pain is like mine you have my deep sympathy and hugs.

I’ve been experiencing constipation since March and my bowel is a nightmare. I am bloated, shooting pains in my pelvis area and seriously horrible cramping 24/7.

All I’ve been given is Paracetamol to manage the pain. I cannot sit down for long periods, when I eat the pain can be overwhelming. So much so that I stand in my shower for 45 mins with hot water flowing to ease the pain/pressure

I am lucky if get 2-4 hours sleep before waking up. Can only sleep on my left hand side with my legs straight.

Having a proper bowel movement is like having a euphoric experience for me.

I have no answers for you but wanted you to know you are not alone

Mena x

2 Likes

HI Mena,

I’m so sorry you are going through this too, let me know how you are doing, I really hope it improves.

Sam x

1 Like

Hi @SamG ,

I’m sorry to hear you’re going through a lot. How did the CT scan go? Did they find out what’s causing this? It looks like we’re both suffering from late side effects of radiation. I’m also currently having bladder pain more like spasms right when I pee in the end. Sending you all my love. You’re not alone. Xx

2 Likes

Hi May,

Thanks for your message, the CT is done, it was excruciating to lay flat on the table with my arms above my head but at least it’s done.
My mental health is starting to really be affected now and I spend most evenings in tears after barely managing a walk around the block.
I’ve been sleeping on the sofa for over a month now and I’m really hoping to hear the results of the scan soon because I’m starting to lose hope.

Sam x

3 Likes

Hi @SamG ,

How are you holding up lovely? Did you get your results? Thinking about you and sending you all my love. Xx

1 Like

Hi May,

My scan came back showing 2 marks on my intestines, a lot of inflammation and fluid. I have an MRI and another CT scan this week as they want to check I don’t have progressive cancer.
I am still struggling to sleep and eat but the pain levels are definitely a bit better.

1 Like

@SamG i can’t imagine how stressed and worried you are right now. I hope you get answers soon. I hope it’s all just side effects that they can sort out for you. I’m also dealing with some right now, I’ve been having blood in my pee as it did with my bowels. I remember we have the same diagnosis at stage 3b. Is your cervix and ureter all clear still? Please keep us posted. I’m sending you all my prayers and positive vibes. Xx

1 Like

Hi May,

I am more worried right now about the scans, I have a lot of pain and trouble breathing when I lay flat so I’m dreading laying on the MRI table for 40 minutes, I honestly am not sure I will be able to do it.
I am having trouble with my bladder but not blood, for me it’s discomfort and weeing bubbles. Has been happening for a couple of months. When is your next scan?

1 Like

Hi @SamG ,

How are you holding up lovely? Been thinking about you. I’m in the US so my follow ups has been only internal exams. But with my current symptoms, I hope they give me a scan to see what’s going on. Did you get your results? Sending you all the love and positive vibes. Xx

Hi May,

It’s been complicated! My CT showed 2 marks on my intestines, fluid and a whole lot of inflammation. They wanted an MRI which had to be aborted because I couldn’t breathe, so I had a CT on my lungs which showed they have fluid, I am having a thoracentesis tomorrow.
I tried another MRI under sedation and managed 20 minutes so we are waiting to see if that shows anything. Then, as if I needed anything else to worry about, I’ve woken up this morning and I’m bleeding like a period. I despair!!!

2 Likes

Oh @SamG ,

I’m so sorry you’ve been going through a lot. I hope they sort you out soon and give you definite answers. The fluid in the lungs can be pneumonia. Are you bleeding a lot? I know how distressing this can be as I’m also having some bleeding lately not sure where it’s coming from it can be from my urethra as I’m having cystitis symptoms. I’m thinking of you and please keep us posted. Xx

1 Like

Hi May,

I’ve been diagnosed with having cancer in my lungs, I should find out tomorrow if it’s anywhere else.

Sam x

4 Likes

Oh my lovely @SamG ,

I’m so sorry. I pray that it’s not anywhere else and that they can come up with a new treatment plan for you quickly. Please hold on to hope and keep fighting. Some ladies here with stage 4 metastasized to their lungs but after treatment still doing well and in remission. You are one strong woman. Sending you all my love and please keep us posted. Xx

2 Likes

@SamG ,

How are you lovely? I’ve been thinking about you. I hope they already have a treatment plan for you at this time. I just wanna send you some love. Would love to hear from you. Much love. Xx

Hello lovely,

Thanks for your message x

I was diagnosed with incurable metastatic cervical cancer in October, it’s in the fluid around my lungs, ascites around my colon, my uterus and in my peritoneum.

I’m having palliative chemo and start immunotherapy tomorrow so fingers crossed but my prognosis was 6 months without treatment and 1-2 years with treatment.

I’m doing so much better after just the first chemo and I still have lots of fight and hope! Especially after dropping 30 pounds in fluid weight after just 2 weeks.

How are you doing?

Sam xx

5 Likes