Abnormal Bleeding and Infection

Hi everyone

I am a new member and just wanted to get some advice, I hope that's ok.

I have been bleeding since the beginning of September, it started with spotting, turned into a normal period flow (but a bright red colour) then slowed down and hasn't really stopped since.  I've not had any pain - maybe just a bit more than my normal period pain, but not agony and not constant.  I've not noticed any other changes.  The colour of the blood scares me as it is bright red like it's always completely fresh and the fact that I'm bleeding at night - I've never been heavy enough to bleed at nightime.

I had a smear test last week as well as other swabs taken (I'd not had a test for 8 year - I know that's so wrong!).  At the time of the appointment my COIL (copper one) was still in place, my cervix looked ok, I just had some discharge.

My bleeding has got worse since my appointment (but not soaking through pads) and one of the swabs came back that I have an infection, so I have antibiotics for 5 days.

I'm now waiting for my smear and HPV test results and not sure if this makes a differene but I'm also anemic and have been for about a year so take iron tablets 3 times a day.

Any tips and pointers or what to do next would be appreciated - or shall I just wait for the smear results?

Thanks all

Hi Donna

I think you should get an appointment to see your GP about your symptoms.  Abnormal bleeding can be down to a number of things - your GP may consider you need referral to a gynaecologist,  for example. 

x

Thank you Jazza, I'll ring them tomorrow 

Hi Donna

I'm sorry to read you are going through this. I hope you get an appointment soon to put your mind at rest.

I'm wondering if this is somehow related to your coil, I know they can sometimes cause heavy bleeding between periods. I really hope you get some answers soon and that you are ok xx

Thank you and yes I'm wondering this too, maybe it just needs taking out x

Hi Donna

I seem to be having the same symptoms as you with the bleeding. It started with blood in my discharge then went to bleeding. I told my doctor and he said it was bacterial vaginosis and put me on a 7-day course of Metronisazole. I'm still having the bleeding and at this point i'm worried sick. It's been happeing since September 11th but becasue i'm not in any agnony or bleeding through pads every few hours nobody seems to be taking it seriously. Because the tablets didnt work, my doc said i need to have swabs taken (quickets appt was Nov 6th). Because of my worry I went to the walk in centre and explained but the Gynecologist wouldn't see me then but thankfully I have an appt on Tues 27th Oct.

I'm on the pill so hoping it has something to do with that even though I've never had any problems with them in the past. I just want to put my mind at ease and hope it's nothing serious. 

I hope everything comes back okay with your results!! x

Hi do you mind if I ask how they found out you had an infection and what it was? Did it come back during smear or was this a separate test x