6 weeks post-lletz and no result... Normal?

Hi everyone, I've searched the forum and not been able to find anyone with any similar experiences so I thought I'd bite the bullet and post. The whole forum has been an amazing source of support during the process, so thank you even though you didn't know I was reading!

I had LLETZ for grade 3 CIN 6 weeks ago and was told I'd have my biopsy result within 4 weeks, but probably quicker. I've called every Friday from the 4 week point and I know my results have been back since the 1st of July, but they haven't been signed off by the consultant. Today (6 weeks after treatment) I called and they still aren't ready to be released as they have been referred to a pathologist for information who hasn't got back to the consultant, the secretary said she would chase them up as they have every week. I asked if it would be possible to have a conversation with a member of the clinical team who could explain what the delay was but I haven't heard back. 

How long have people waited for results? Has anyone had a similar experience? I just don't seem to be able to get any clarity on what is going on and whether the delay is a admin issue or because there is something more complicated. Obviously hearing that my results have been referred anywhere left me a little shaken. 

Thank you in advance! 

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you haven't heard back with your results yet. I waited around 7 weeks for my results to come back! The wait was excrutiating! The first thing I would do when I got home from work each day was check the post without hesitation. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to let it consume you.

Pathology is the usual lab for the specimens to go so I can't imagine this is something that you should worry about. 

We would also like to think that, if it has taken this long to get the results to you, there is nothing for you to worry about. Hopefully this can reassure you a little. 

I do hope you are not waiting too much longer. Keep us updated.

All the best! 

X

Thank you for taking the time to reply Emma. So I'm not alone in the waiting game! It just felt like every post I'd seen people had their results within 2-4 weeks. It's 7 weeks now and the consultant and pathologist are both on leave so I think I'll be waiting some more.

Glad to hear your results were good!

J x

Hi Ladies,

Im also playing the waiting game, I am now 9 days in from my biopsys being taken. I hate it, the docotr advised me i would have them back within 2 weeks due to the results of my smear. I was High grade dyskariosis/?invasive carcinoma.

The waiting is the worst part for me, I just want to know. Im sure tho if there was serious issue you would have heard by now. After reading other comments on here, "no news is good news" is quite a few cases.

I hope you get them soon, please keep us updated.

xx

Hi ladies. I had lletz by general anesthetic on 19th June. I was told 3 weeks for results. I kept calling and as I work for the hospital I had the procedure done at I emailed from my work email address asking why I'd recieved no biospy results. I got an email back to say that they tested negative for cancer and i would have a test of cure un 6 months (right before xmas -grear!)  

I'm a bit frustrated that I wasnt given anymore info about my results, I had to chase them via my work email as I was being ignored otherwise. I still want my biospy results and would like to know if everything was likely removed. However i dont want to be the annoying patient that gets annoyed at having not recieved anything as I work on the a&e department there.

Its taking all my will power not to access my own records and look for myself (I'd be fired for doing so).

What would you ladies do?

I was a lot luckier that most on here in that i got the letter about my lletz results in 10 days

However, all it said was "confirm the presence of CIN 2 and CIN 3" and discharged me back to my GP for a test of cure smear in 6 months.

It said nothing about margins. I rang the gynae dept where i had my treatment. I think i must have timed it just right because the receptionist put my consultant on to speak to me who apologised for badly worded standard NHS letters, confirmed clear margins and chatted to me for about 10 minutes putting my mind at rest .

I cannot praise the hospital highly enough  

Thank you for all of your replies ladies. 

I am now heading towards 8 weeks and no results in the post. Late last week I complained to PALS as I was getting nowhere. I had a call from the consultant today to discuss the delay in my results. Apparently they are very borderline as to whether I need further treatment and the pathologist hasn't replied to the gynaecology consultants request for an expert opinion, hense the delay. My case is going to MDT meeting on Monday and the consultant is going to call to let me know the outcome.

If I had known this in the first place then it would have been much better, rather than just being told not to worry every week by the hospital and that my results couldn't be released. I just needed to know what was going on as it felt like anything was possible. Fingers crossed Monday the MDT will decide that I don't need further treatment but we shall see. 

Leanne, I would get back in touch and request the letter. Or speak to your GP and see if they have a letter that they can discuss with you. Good news, but I'd definitely want to get my hands on those results too.

I hope you've had your results by now Hayles!

Jx

Hi J!

I am pleased to learn that you finally got to speak with the consultant and that you now know when you will hear back. I can imagine that this has taken a huge weight off of your shoulders already! 

All the best - do keep us updated!

X

Hi all, 

Finally had a phone call following the MDT meeting. It turns out the delay was due to them not being sure that my cells hadn't developed into CC, which is not what I was told last week. I really wish they had just told me the truth weeks ago as it has been 9 weeks since my treatment now and I could have processed it if I knew. 

Anyway, the good news is that they are confident that they have removed everything, whether they were abnormal cells or CC. So now I have to go back for another coloscopy in 3 months and continue to be monitored. 

Just waiting for my letter to confirm what has been going on and then I am going to go to the GP to discuss it as I feel I've been in the dark during this process, other than using this forum, which has been great. I just need to know what it all means with so much conflicting information over the past few weeks.

Thank you for your support ladies!

J x

I am glad you finally got your answers and that they are confident they got rid of the nasty stuff! 

All the best!

X