4 days post op - struggling

Hi Ladies 

i had my robotically assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy with lymph node removal 4 days ago and I’m really struggling. My cancer is stage 1A2 adenocarcinom.

I ended up back in hospital yesterday due to severe pain and infection so I’m still in on an IV drip. My main areas for concern are that my tummy is still so so bloated and painful which is making me struggle to eat and feel sick. I also have groin and pelvic swelling (more on the left side)  so my privates look all puffy and not like mine ! my consultant saw me today and said it’s normal post surgery swelling in the area she took the lymph nodes away from. I can’t imagine ever getting back to normal and that upsets me and makes me feel like I’m not me. Waiting for my results is also awful and just want to be put out of my misery amd move on with my life. Has anyone else experienced similar and can put my mind at ease ? 

Hi

I had the same op as you on 29th May. If you've got an infection that will make you feel awful and the pain will be worse. When the antibiotics kick in you'll feel better.

Years ago I had a non related minor op that got infected and felt 100 times worse than the hysterectomy.

As far as the operation is concerned, I went home the following day. I wasn't in too much pain, but really struggled to walk with stiff inner thighs. I wore big slight support knickers for the abdomen which really helped. Probably just me, though I ran it past the nurse, both my feet were swollen two days later though soon went down - can be a side effect of the lymph glands being removed. I was also horrified over my big wobbly belly, that did take about four weeks to go down. With keyhole and several cuts, it's going to cause swelling, all will come good.

When I went back for my histology appointment two weeks later I still hobbled. Between then and the next two weeks really improved and walked normally.

We are all different and your infection won't have helped your pain.

Hope you are feeling better soon xxx 

Thank you for your response Helen7 really appreciate it as I’m so anxious at the moment. My tummy seems to have gone down a bit today but my pubic bone area is so swollen still And the inside of the top of my thighs. Did you have swelling in those areas ? 

Get my results on 3rd September...the waiting is awful. 

Kate x 

Hi

I kept getting odd stabbing pains around pubic bone, lasted up to 4 weeks. I guess this is where the cervix was so probably just healing. My right inner groin and hip were sore, only just fading now.

The waiting wasn't easy. I went in,  he said it was good news, no lymph involvement and clear margins. Told me to make an appointment for three months time. I've never hobbled out so quickly in my life. I dont think I noticed a big improvement in my body till 4 to 6 weeks.

Good luck and hope you have the same positive outcome xx

Im feeling a lot better today pain wise. The only pain I really have thats bad is in my left groin area. My pelvic swelling goes down a bit overnight but then builds back up as the day goes on and by the evening its sore. The swelling is also still there in my inner thighs worse on my left side. I just keep panicking that it will never go away or will get even worse!! It's the not knowing what the road ahead of me will be like that I struggle with.  Going for some hypnotherapy and Reiki next week to try and help me to relax.

It will get a little better each day. I had problems with my legs and feet swelling up for the first two weeks, couldn't get a pair of shoes on by evening. I rang my dedicated Nurse who told me she wasn't concerned over it so soon after the operation. Maybe you should run your worries by them at least to put your mind at rest. Xx