3cmx3cm Mass Near Ovary 3.5 Years After CC

Hi, 

I had an ultrasound yesterday and today got a phone call to say that a 3cmx3cm mass was found near my left ovary and that I'm now on a 2 week cancer fast track referral to confirm what it is.

Has anybody had this and if so, was it cancer or something else? Has anybody had metastasis or recurrence to an ovary? 

Thank you x

HI Jennyyy

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this and whilst my situation is different I have had periods of waiting and uncertainty of disease status post treatment and really know the stress that this waiting period brings and it's hard not to get taken in by google or other people's experiences but to try and keep focused and to remember that not everything is cancer (easier said than done that I know! ) I work with a lady who had something show on her ovary on ultrasound and it turned out to be a cyst so I hope this be be the same for you, sending lots of love and please keep in touch with how you are doing xx

Thank you for replying to me Weeping Willow ?

I've been referred urgently so they have to see me within 2 weeks but then there could be weeks of waiting for results after I've been seen. I hate waiting so much!

I've been Googling a lot since yesterday and I know I need to keep off it! It seems that it is rare for CC to metastise to ovaries or recur there but that there are some women it has happened to. I'm hoping it will just be a cyst or something that isn't serious but I feel like it must have looked dodgy at the first scan as according to Google, ultrasounds can often tell the difference between fluid filled cysts and solid masses so that's making me worry that it's looking like a solid tumour rather than a cyst. 

Hope you're doing OK x

Hi Jenny

I am sorry to hear this. The waiting is the worst and probably more stressful post treatment. 
I haven't had your experience so can only offer support and please know you can turn to Jos here anytime. There's always someone here. 
Was it picked up on a routine scan or did you request a scan because of any other symptoms, pain etc?

I'm ok Thank you, a check up is due soon so the usual nerves are setting in.

I have honestly googled myself long dead so definitely use the information with caution. Prior to diagnosis I had an ultrasound that diagnosed my tumour as a fibroid so I don't think that ultrasounds are the scan of choice for picking up cancers so hopefully it could be just that given your history they want to fast track you to MRI to get things checked out? It's also reassuring that your team seem on the ball with keeping an eye on you but yes the waiting is rubbish and our minds run crazy! During one of my many panicked googling sessions I also read recurrence to the ovary is rare so hopefully  the next stage of investigation can put your mind at rest xx

Hi Starlight, 

Thank you for getting back to me. 

I had an MRI scan around last November by the NHS as I have a dull pain in the right side of my groin but it didn't find any cause. I then had a private full body MRI in December to double check as I was worried about the pain and back pain and that one found a bulky left ovary and free fluid which it said were ambiguous symptoms so they recommended a follow up ultrasound in 6 months to check it out. I had that follow up ultrasound on Tuesday then had the results yesterday that something 3cmx3cm has grown in the meantime and that they can't tell what it is so I'll need further tests.

I hope you're well ? x

I hope your check up goes well Weeping Willow. I was due to have my colposcopy check up next Monday but they've cancelled it due to the virus saying that they aren't seeing anybody yet. At least with this referral the tests will probably look at my cervix too so at least that's being looked at instead of delayed for God knows how long! X

Hello 

I am sorry your having to go through this , I was diagnised with Cervical cancer 1b1 adenocarcima in December 2013 , i had a radical hysterectomy with no further treatment.

In 2015 i did have recurrence to the ovary , i had surgery to remove the mass followed by Chemo & radiotherapy. My treatment finished in November 2015 and this year i will be 5 years NED !  

I just wanted to say that  recurrent Cervial cancer to the ovary is extremly rare , please do not google as you will always get worse case scenerio .  In your case it may well just be a cyst , they will have to fast track you because of your history, however if it is recurrence i just wanted to tell you there are treatment options.  Its scary i know  , stay positve , stay off google ! and remember Recurrence to the ovary is extremly rare.  

I will celebrating my 5 years NED from recurrence in November !

Take care 

Greeni 

Hi Greeni ?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. 

I'm glad you've been NED for so long and are almost at the 5 year point! If you don't mind me asking, did you have any symptoms of the recurrence and how was the recurrence found in your case?

I do need to stay off Google. Sometimes I feel like I could become a gynae doctor after the amount of time I've spent reading up on stuff ? x

Hi Jenny,

One thing to note is that you clearly had symptoms that were worrying you but a cyst would also cause this E symptoms so I wouldn't get overly worried about the backache etc.

If the worst comes to the worst and it is a rare recurrence you still have an excellent range of treatment options available.  Lots of us still here to demonstrate that second sets of treatment can be extremely successful.

As others have said, not knowing is horrible, but that time will soon pass.

Karen x  

Hi Jennyyy

I had no symptoms at all of recurrence , i attended a route oncology check up appointment.  I was having 3 monthly check ups after the hystercectoomy. The consultant said he usually does scans around a year or so after diagnosis.  It was this scan that picked the recurrence up.   The mass was quite large ! i feel very lucky he did the scan and it was picked up otherwise i might not have known for some time as i had no symptoms of what so ever. My consultant and his team were " shocked" it was recurrence as recurrence to the ovary is extremley rare.  Infact the consultant said its something as low as around 1%. 

I am rooting for you !! keep us posted.  

Greeni x

Hi Jenny,

I'm no oncology expert but just wanted to let you know that just after my Cc diagnosis a scan showed something lighting up on my ovary. Several consultants couldn't decide whether it was a secondary cancer or not. I did end up having laparoscopic surgery and thankfully the mass found was a simple ovarian cyst. Before the surgery I was told all about what treatment would involve if it was a second cancer so I had convinced myself they already knew. All these scans are definitely not foolproof. I hope you get some answers quickly.

x Maria

Hi Greeni, 

That's what scares me about just having colposcopy check ups rather than scans as they'd never pick up recurrences outside of the cervix without scans, especially when they can happen without causing symptoms! 

You were lucky that it was picked up on your yearly scan and that it wasn't there for another year until your next scan. I'm glad that you've been well since and yes, I'll keep you posted. I've had a telephone appointment arranged for Thursday which I'm disappointed about as I was hoping for a quick scan/biopsy appointment rather than another telephone call but hopefully things will start to move quickly x

Hi Karen, 

I've come across quite a few of your posts when I've been searching the forums before and they always make me feel more positive. Thank you. 

Hopefully time will pass fast. I wish I could fast forward the waiting stage! 

I hope you're well x

Hi Maria, 

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I feel like I'd rather have laparoscopic surgery than another scan which may leave uncertainty as with your scan. Even if it turns out to have been wasted surgery if it's just a cyst, it's much better than for it to be left there and later turn out to be a recurrence! 

Was the treatment plan that they outlined to you chemo and radiotherapy or did it involve surgery too? I'm glad that yours was just a cyst X

I am in excellent health Jenny. Hopefully this will all be sorted soon and you will be too!

Karen x 

Thirty minutes after i came round from the laproscopic surgery I was walking around and going to the bathroom by myself. I was extremely lucky. No pain afterwards and very quick recovery. Before the surgery they told me if it was on the ovary they would take a biopsy and go from there. I told them Im 46, just take the ovary. Didn't like the thought that if they biopsied it and it turned out to be cancer they would of had to do another surgery. Three weeks after the cyst removal I started 25 radiotherapy, 5 chemo and 4 brachy (no hysterectomy). Suffering from scanxiety at the moment as due all my 9 month scans again Monday and Tuesday. My three month scans were all fine so keeping fingers crossed. 

x Maria

Hi Maria, 

How did your check up appointment go this week? I hope you get positive scan results and that you don't have to wait long to get them back. Keep us updated. 

Jenny x

I've had a telephone call with a gynae consultant. She said that she's not too concerned having looked at my scan photos and thinks it could just be a normal cyst that people my age get and my blood test was normal but she's still putting me through for an urgent MRI to double check. I've got the MRI next Monday so hopefully I won't have long to wait before I find out what it is x

Hi Jenny

You must be feeling pretty relieved - good that you are having the MRI though to be on the safe side. Big hugs 

A x