34 and no smear

Hi all, I hate to admit it but I am 34 and never had a smear.

End of last year I finally plucked up the courage to go (suffer from anxiety and panic attacks) it was fine but the results came back inconclusive and was told tod rebook. The fear of the unknown has got the better of me and I’ve bottled it and haven’t booked back in. What if the nurse doesn’t do it properly again?

Then it’s bound to come back with abnormalities right. I’ve convinced myself of that.

Please give me a push as I need to phone and book in Monday but I’m scared , scared of that long 6-8 week wait again , scared it’ll be cancer!

Hello,

Don't feel bad about not having a smear yet, everyone has different experiences and fears.  The great thing is that you have posted here and we can all support you through making the call on Monday and the rest of your journey.  There is every chance that your smear will come back fine, I'm 42 and all my smears were clear up until this year.  You will see my story from my signature, I'm absolutely fine and will be too despite my little hiccup.

So here's a virtual 'push' for Monday, I'll be thinking of you and if you have any wobbles or any questions post away and we'll do what we can to help and reassure.

Sara x

Hi Blondie1982 :-)

I'll double that virtual push from slb97! As slb97 said, everyone is different and the main thing now is you're going and getting yourself checked out :-)

In regards to a second smear definitely coming back with abnormalties - not at all! Unforntunately sometimes the medical professional taking the smear may not get a good enough sample of the cells on your cervix for analysis. It does not mean there is necessarily anything to wrong. My mums last smear infact came back as inconclusive and she had to repeat it, she was fine! So please try not to worry! Also if the nurse say something not quite right (advanced cervical cancer is visible to the naked eye on the cervix) she would have had to report it. So again this is a good sign that nothing was on your first smear. 

It's not the most fabulous experience in the world but it's relatively short and worth it for your health. If you're worried that you may get another inconclusive result maybe mention it at your next appointment and explain you're worried. I'm sure they will be able to put your mind at ease and it's highly unlikely that they will be unable to get a sufficient sample twice in a row - particularly with the knowledge you are there for a second time! 

So please ring up on Monday and try not to worry in the meantime!

R xxx

Hi

It's such a scary time and all I did for years (10 years) was put off having a smear. I didn't want the stress of the long waits etc. But you know what, if I didn't go for my smear in June this year they wouldn't of found my CIN3 and remove it. It may have turned into cancer! Now thats a wake up call and I will NEVER miss a smear again!!

If you have a lovely clear cervix, abnormal cells or even cancer it will be there whether or not you have a smear. The not knowing is great for a little while but during that time bad cells can be very slowing getting higher in grade and could turn sinister. 

So please (here's your 3rd push lol) go and get it out the way. It will more than likely be clear and if not whatever is found can be removed. 

Roxy x