3 LLETZ procedures in 3 months

Hi all

I’m sorry this will likely be long but I’m so confused.

I had a smear test over the summer which came back as abnormal and I was given a colposcopy appointment on 29/09/21. Before they even looked at me, I was told I needed LLETZ. I agreed & had the procedure there and then. I then had an infection & to be honest, was completely traumatised by the who experience.

5 weeks later I received a call that the results of my biopsy were abnormal, they had been sent for a second opinion, a meeting had been held & they were recommending that I have a further LLETZ procedure. I agreed & had that done on 10/11.

Yesterday I received a letter (2weeks since the LLETZ) saying I need a second procedure & giving me the date of 21/12/21. I’m so confused as I’ve already had 2 procedures?! I called the hospital & they said they weren’t sure if it was a mistake & will let me know on Tuesday or Wednesday last week.

I’m completely overthinking everything & trying to second guess whether it’s a mistake. It seems very quick to have come back saying I need a third procedure, plus the mistake in the letter saying I need a second procedure.

I’m not even sure I want a third procedure. I’m 30 and have not had children. No one has properly explained any of this to me.

I know it’s unlikely anyone will be able to tell me what’s going on but I thought writing everything down might help.

Hello Emily
Sorry about that and the confusion state. I really would want to know what abnormal cells they are treating you for ? Did they mention if you have HPV, CIN or CGIN?
I also don’t understand why they would want to rush to give you treatment after treatment without even waiting for the 6 months test of cure . When I had my Lletz under GA, I was told no clear margins but gyno assured me he was sure the burning after lletz cleared it then fast forward 6 months test of cure all clear thank God . I would ask for second opinion or transfer to another hospital if you feel like you are not getting all the answers you need .
Best wishes x.

It sounds like a mistake to me, Emily - I can’t believe you’d get a letter offering a third procedure so quickly, and my guess is that someone had duplicated the appointment for the second procedure, as this was a letter but your appointment for the 10th was made on the phone. Call them and ask them to check. Definitely it would be highly irregular to do two procedures and immediately after a third. X

1 Like

Thank you for your response. The most recent letter I received this morning says I have CIN3. That’s the first time anyone has said what exactly I have.
Really interesting that you didn’t have clear margins but were clear at your next smear. I’m really hoping it’s a mistake but to be honest, I’m leaning towards giving it a break for 6 months until my next smear & go from there xx

Thank you
When I called the hospital, they weren’t sure if it was a mistake. They said they will get back to me on Tuesday or Wednesday x

1 Like

Oh wow, this sounds so stressful for you. My oncologist told me that ideally you should have 12 weeks between LLETZ treatments. I’ve no idea if that’s just his personal opinion.

The other thing you can try which may help you find out sooner than weds or Thurs, is contacting your consultants secretary direct.

Thinking of you at such a difficult time x

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who got in touch.

I’ve just had a call from the hospital & the letter saying I need another lletz was a mistake. I need to go for a smear test in 6-8 months. It’s such a relief!

I still feel really in the dark about everything that’s happened, the treatment I’ve had & what implications this has going forward. I think I’m going to try & make an appointment to speak to someone about it all in the new year but for now I’m just going to enjoy the rest of the year & Christmas xx

3 Likes

Brilliant news! It certainly did sound like a mistake to me. These things happen but I hope they apologised for scaring you. It’s a good plan to focus on Christmas now and follow up on getting some better information in the new year. No woman should feel in the dark about what treatment they are getting. X

2 Likes

Hi Emily
I am happy for you to know that it was just a mistake and you don’t need another lletz just test of cure in 6-8 months. That’s such a relief for you I know. Just eat healthy now and try to build up immunity and enjoy life.
How old are you if I may ask? Maybe you said and I missed it but am 37 and got my first gardasil vaccine like 3 weeks ago .
Sending you good vibes and hugs xxx

1 Like

Hi Jane

Thanks for your response. I’m 30, I’ve never heard of this before?

Emily

I thought I was too old for the hpv vaccine but my gyno told me it’s ok to have it .