Worried about possibility of inadequate smear test result

Hi

I’m wondering if anyone out there has any advice or reassurance for me? I recently had my first smear test (10 yrs overdue - eek!) and the nurse struggled to get a sample as apparently my cervix was high up and tilted. Sorry if it’s TMI but there was lots of blood on the brush and speculum and the nurse warned me there was a possibility that the result would come back as inadequate.

I suffer from health anxiety and am now freaking out that it means there is something seriously wrong with me! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I’ve also been told that it’s currently 6-8 weeks for the results. Does anyone know if it takes that long for them to even just tell you that the sample is inadequate or will they let me know it is sooner rather than later? Hate the thought of waiting 8 weeks just to find out they couldn’t even test it! It took a lot of courage for me to go for a smear (sexual assault survivor) and the thought of having to try again in 3 months fills me with dread!

Hi

well done for going for your Smear. That took a lot of courage and guts - good on you. You have managed the first hurdle so if it does come back that you need to do it again ask for support and the nurses will help I am sure to make it easier for you. I’ve bled before at smears and it’s come back ok so it may not be an issue. However, take heart in the fact that you are a strong, brave lady who has done it once and you can do it again. I am just impressed with your strength to do your smear. You want to be very proud of yourself big hugs xxxx

Aww, thanks noodlesdoodles - that made me teary. 
You're right that going for my smear was so scary and emotional. I cried as soon as I entered the room! The nurse was lovely though - just really don't want to see her again too soon! Not sure I can do it again! 
And waiting for results is killing me. 

Hi

If you type in 'sexual assault' in the search box you will find some blogs etc. that might help in some way.

And, yes, really well done for having the courage to get a smear test.  For me, keeping busy has been one of the best ways of dealing with worry while waiting for results. 

x