WONDERING ABOUT STAGE 1B1/GRADE 3 EXPERIENCES

HELLO!

I am trying to keep it together here. I am 31 years old with three boys under the age of 5 years old. 

I was recently diagnosed with Stage 1B1 Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Grade 3. I am worried about lymph node spread. I will need a total hysterectomy, leaving ovaries. I have a consultation booked next week to discuss with the surgeon. 

Can anyone share experiences with this Stage/Grade and if there was lymph node involvement? I can't seem to find answers about how deep stromal invasion is rerquired to have a grea†er risk of spread to lymph nodes. If there was lymph node involvement for you at this grade/stage, what was the next step? 

Thank you in advance for your support. 

Hi 

I'm so sorry you are going through cc.

When I was diagnosed in June last year I was told it's 1b1. MRI suggested 1a2 which was confirmed after radical hysterectomy, lymph node removal and preservation of ovaries. Lab results came back as grade 3 too. I had laparoscopic surgery, first scan in Oct clear, awaiting my second MRI. 

Stay strong and stay safe :) 

Hello, 

You're currently working through the hardest part of the journey, it will get clearer and less terrifying once you know exactly what youre dealing with and what the plan is. 

I had 1B2 squamous cell with no lymph node involvement. Its a bit of luck really, some smaller tumours do, some larger don't, it's a cliche but every cancer is different. What I can tell you is that if there is lymph node involvement the treatment is usually 5 weeks or so of radiotherapy Mon to fri, chemo weekly, and a couple of sessions of targeted radiation therapy (brachytherapy) right at the end. Tough going, but really effective treatment.

An MRI and PET scan will give a good indication of whether there is lymph node involvement, but the lymphadenectomy will give greater certainty. The scans are good but won't pick up microscopic cancer cells that a pathologist would see in the lab. 

I really struggled with this at the time but cross each bridge as it comes. Sometimes "each bridge" was getting out of bed and making a cup of tea. Try your best to stay in the moment and focus on the smaller tasks that get you on the way, rather than the bigger picture x I know, easier said than done! X

Hi, how are you getting on?