Lymphnode highlighted on MRI

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on 2/8. Had an MRI on the 16th. My consultant said there wasn’t much to see on the MRI but it has highlighted something in my lymphnodes which they want to investigate further. I’m got for a PET scan early next week.
Initially they staged be at 1B1. I want to know that if it’s likely to change if they have found cancer in my lymphnodes? Does anyone else have experience of this spread?
I won’t get a treatment plan until the results of the PET are discussed at MDT.
My main concern is that it has spread elsewhere. Anyone else had experience of 1B1 with spread to lymphnode?

Hi Sa_Rah,

Sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis but glad to hear that they are going to do a PET scan. It’s SO important that they rule out (best prognosis) or identify any spread before making a decision about treatment. If the cancer is only in the cervical lymph nodes it could be stage 2A, and surgery may still be an option. If the lymph node involvement is further, in the pelvis or in the abdominal region, it is stage 3.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cervical-cancer/stages-types-grades/stage-2

I was Stage 3C2 and had chemo, radiotherapy and brachytherapy. At this stage surgery is not indicated generally as the cancer has to be treated systemically. I am 6 months post treatment and so far all clear. The important thing is to get the diagnosis right and treat the cancer in the most efficient way. X

Thank you for the info. I’m glad to hear your clear so far, what a journey you must have been on.
At this point my head is just going to worse case scenario all the time.
Good luck for the future. X

Thanks for the good wishes! I should have said that initially the gynaecologist thought I was stage 1, with cancer only in the cervix, but sent me for the scans - and that’s when I was regraded as 3C2. So it is possible to be regraded. To be honest, there is no reason why it is not treatable, and they will be treating to CURE - remember that. The worst case scenario is that they don’t realise it has spread when they operate, and get it wrong, and the cancer gets transported round the body. I’ve read on another thread that this happened to one lady. So having scans = brilliant - bring it on! I hope the news for you is the very best in the circumstances and whatever the treatment - surgery or chemo/radiotherapy - you can get through it and be cured. X

1 Like

A good thing to keep in mind too is the fact that before 2019 having a lymphnode affected did not change your stage. You would just be 1b n1 ( node 1 depending on how many node ls are involved)

With the New Figo guidelines once lympnodes are involved You atomatically are classified stage 3c

Stage 3c is still very curable. You will most likely get chemoradiation treatment

When I first got diagnosed I was stage 1b3 but after my mri and pet scan classified as stage 2b due to minor involvement of my parametrium

Also, a couple nodes showed up on my mri too and were suspicious but they didn’t light up on my pet scan. It doesn’t mean cancer persee.

Wish you the best of luck :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you Izzy. That’s reassuring.
I had got my head around having a hysterectomy (I’m 32 with a 7 year old) - I am feeling ok about that. The thought of having chemo though… That’s scary. I just wanted to know it hadn’t spread and then bam… Hearing them talk about lymphnodes just terrifies me.
I still have moments where it doesn’t feel real and then moments I’m planning what will go in a memory box for my daughter.
What a scary place this is…

1 Like

Oh I know, I am so sorry you are jn this position too. I am almost 2 years out after chemo radiation and am doing really well.

I had little to no side effects during and after treatment. The hardest part was the mental battle, I just had a baby 4 months prior to my diagnosis and felt I had let my baby girl down and that I was not going to see her grow up . Those feelings were definetly the hardest part

This place was a Godsent, talking to the lovely ladies who went through the same thing and thriving was such a comfort.

1 Like

I havent had my staging yet and dont know what/if theres any spread.

But I keep going into those dark places and thoughts, especially when it comes to my kids.

I literally have to shake my self and tell myself off for it.

You’re not on your own at all and as you can see in others posts, especially mine cause I’m a real whinge, we’ve all been there too at some stage.

Wishing you well xx

1 Like