Who should have a vault smear ?

Hi there everyone 

I feel a little silly / stupid asking this question , but I'm confused as to who has vault smears ! i had cervical cancer 1b1 Adenocarcinoma in 2013 , I had a radical hysterectomy ( overarys left in ) In 2015 I then had recurrence to ovary  , the mass was removed with chemo & radiotherapy after .  up to now I've been ok / no evidence of disease but nobody has ever mentioned to me the need for a vault smear , now I've heard of vault smears so I was wondering what exactly they are and who has them ? 

I have follow ups with my gynea consultant every 4 months now , he does an internal and discuss concerns ect 

Im so sorry if this  is a really daft question , I really didn't know if I should even post the question !! but hope someone could clarify this for me,

Many thanks 

Greeni 

xx 

Hey Greeni,

I thought everyone that had a hysterectomy that got vault smears. I might be wrong though. It might be different with lymph nodes spread though.

With me, they have recommended not to have any smears, because my tumour was too big, as I would get distressed over results that aren't really relevant to me, as I am likely to have cell change. They just do the routine 3 month exams, and routine scans. Then take biopsies if there appears to be changed.

But give your rooms a call, they might be able to advise what is best for you.

Xx

Hi

I have a vault smear every 3 months. My doctor also does a feel and ask how i am doing. :-) He also checks me for hpv too every 3 months.

I just had a hysterectomy for high grade CGIN and I'll need vault smears and to be tested for hpv.  I would have thought you would need one.

Hi!

I had a radical for 1b1 and have never had vault smears, just internal examinations. I’ve never been tested for HPV either, I still have no idea if I had it (have just assumed I must have).
I had MRIs up to a year, when one was horribly wrong. I had one more 3 months after that, then nothing since.

I use private healthcare through work, but I wouldn’t expect that makes a difference?

I had hysterectomy for 1a2 cc in July and consultant said I will get my 1st vault smear in January 

Thanks everybody I am going to ask about this at my next appointment which isn't until Feb 18.  

I have never been tested for the HPV as far as I know  either so will also ask .

I don't know about everybody else but I have found the lack of after care information very poor in general ,  

Thanks again to all you lovely ladies 

Greeni 

XX 

Hi greeni, I aslI feel aftercare is shocking, I feel sad and upset most of the time, I feel I’ve had this major surgery got results back and that’s it! I’ve not been offered any other scans and I’m petrified cancer could be growing elsewhere. 

Had radical and chemo rads and not had internal anything since ... had mri 3 months. 6 months just chat. So looks like different everywhere maybe?

agree that feels like no after care at all, still loads of questions that are unanswered and no support groups for this kind of cancer nearby either.

Never heard of a vault smear & had my Radical Hysterectomy & radiotheraphy - 24 years ago !! Maybe they didn't do them then - very strange but also wasn't told about Lymphodeoma. Which i have got in my right leg