White patch seen colposcopy

Hi I'm brand new on here! I had a colposcopy today I wasn't expecting it as I'd has pelvic scans and thought it was my follow up! Anyway the doc told me he's seen a small white patch on my cervix and took biopsies. I'm terrified as my mum was diagnosed a few months ago with fallopian cancer and it's a pretty tough time already. I was so stunned I didn't ask any questions just left and utterly broke down in the car! I'm now wanting to know more what does the white patch mean could it be anything other than cancer? Etc wish I'd prepared for today as I'm usually the one who asks all the questions. Any advise welcome

Hi Ladylala,

What was your pap results? Any time it's a white patch that they see it's usually just the cell changes where they want to biopsy. They put the solution on your cervix and the white patches will appear (the changes of your cervix is the white patches). In majotory of cases it's just the abnormal spots that will usually be removed if the biopsy sees abnormalities. Hope this helps! 

When I had my treatment and they put the solution on they explained that this shows the irregularities as white patches - it highlights them so they know where to take the biopsies from

Thanks, I haven't had a smear test this came about as I'd had a few episodes of bleeding after sex. My routine smear is due April this year. I went as my mum has fallopian tube tumour that had attached to her appendix and bowel and she said don't leave it if you've had bleeding. Luckily I went! Just this horrid wait now. I've got a 6 year old daughter and can't have anymore so that's not an issue. How long I'd the usual waiting time? 

Hi, I also have just had my colposcopy today. I was so shocked at how shaky my legs were! I had been bleeding after sex too, last May the symptoms started. The doctor told me today that the results from my biopsy will take around two weeks. Good luck, it's hard when it's something we don't understand! I feel the same as you, hope this helped somehow xx

Hiya Lala xxx

I know how you feel. When I went for my first colposcopy appointment I was bricking it. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone & if you ever need a chat or a ear to listen I'm here xxxx

Thank you for your replies! I called they said 2-3 weeks wait at the moment. 

Did you all have smears first? Also does cervical cancer cause tumours or just cancer cells sorry im just confused! 

I've had full pelvic scan already didn't show anything or nothing I've been told about! 

Xx

You poor thing did you bleed afterwards? I was due on and bled straight away that evening! Xx 

Hey Lala

I went to the doctors about my bleeding and got the first abnormal smear done then. Why were you getting scans? I had scans for pelvic pain and the nurse told me to go back for my second.  I didn't bleed after the biopsy/loop, I've just had slightly discolored but it's only been 2 days so expecting more. Maybe they have encouraged your period by doing your biopsy?

Yes think it is my period! Not sure the doc asked for std checks as they apparently have to do that first, then as all clear she offered pelvic scan ultrasound external and internal and colposcopy too? Did they say they saw anything with yours? He told me a small patch turned pale white. 

Hi

Have you had any update yet?

Any news?  

Hi there...I went for colposcopy today...and it was quite uncomfortable...they saw a white patch and took a biopsy...I have to wait 4 weeks for results ...not sure what it's gonna show....I tested positive for HPV virus but unsure of what to do

Hi I had my colposcopy app 1 week ago and the nurse had to take a biopsy ....I don t know why and am so confused....my smear was positive for HPV virus....but she said that sorts itself out....

I just don't t know what to think

I've got a white patch too. Scared. Let me know how you ladies get on.

Hi hun,

This is an old post but I am going through a similar thing and quite worried!

I went to have a coil removed last week and the doctor found a white patch on my cervix. She wasn’t sure what it was and has referred me to the colcoscopy clinic for a smear and colcoscopy. I am only 23 so not old enough for a smear yet!

Currently waiting for the appointment from the hospital but can’t help but think the worst! 

Did your results come back OK? 

xoxoxox 

Hi, 

Gosh yes, doesn't seem that long ago! 

Mine came back OK, had a smear test 6 monthly afterwards and all OK so far!

I've since been BRCA tested and I'm Brca2 positive so until I have preventative surgery I'm under surveillance. This wasn't linked to this at all, so don't stress, I was tested as my mum had fallopian tumor. Xxx try to relax they are fantastic and very informative 

Thank-you for replying and glad yours came back OK!! That has put my mind at ease!

I have my appt tomorrow for a colposcopy so fingers crossed all will be OK! Xxx

I wouldn't worry about white patches - I had a borderline abnormal smear and HPV positive in February, i'm 28 and it was only my second smear. Had colposcopy on 10th April, chased the results up yesterday and was advised that I had no abnormal cells and the only thing she saw was a white patch, which was basically the presence of the virus. Been put on a yearly smear.

Good luck to those still waiting but a white patch is nothing sinister.