Where to go for a smear

Hi I don’t want to go to my GP for my smear test, is there somewhere else I can go? I’ve skipped my last period - I’m 46- and I’m having pain. when I was younger I used to go to a Womens clinic but they don’t do them anymore apparently. How much does it cost to get one privately? In live in Portsmouth. Thanks in advance for any help. Have a lovely Christmas everyone

Hi Jules

The Well Woman clinic in my local hospital closed about 2-3 years ago; I think it’s been down to getting them at the GP surgery for many years now, at least where I live. I used to get my smears done at the well women clinic and before that at the local sexual health clinic but unfortunately I think there are few or maybe no places where that type of service is available now.

I didn’t like going to my GP surgery for smears so I can empathise with how you feel about that. However, it is very important to keep up to date with smears as I learnt the hard way - see my back story.

I’ve never had a smear done privately but I’m sure doing a google search on ‘private smear tests portsmouth’ will come up with a list of options. Cost wise I think I heard that an example price of a private smear was around the £100 mark but doubtless it will vary between various organisations.

Something to consider is what you would do should your smear test result indicate you need further investigations such as a colposcopy. Staying within the private system could prove very costly so you might need to consider your budget limits beforehand; I’m not sure how it would work if you wanted a colposcopy done under the NHS on the basis of a private smear test.

Another option is HPV self sampling; kits can be bought on-line. If you are HPV negative then you don’t need a smear test for the time being; if you are HPV positive then you will need a smear test but you can cross that bridge if you come to it.

Disclaimer: I personally think HPV self sampling is fine but I’ve never done it myself and I’m not advising or recommending it, just sharing information.

x

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’ve messaged my GP, it could take 21 days to get a response and as they only have one nurse it could take months for an appointment so I’ve also made an enquiry to a private practice locally. Once again thank you, your advice is appreciated.