What happens after lletz?

Hello there

Newbie here.. been reading lots of posts in the forum, which have been so helpful but just looking for a bit of reassurance I suppose.

So, my story is that I'm 36 and up until 15 days ago had never had a smear test. Silly I know. So on the 26th Jan i braved the surgery and had one done at the insistence of my husband. on Monday 5th feb I received a call from the GP surgery to tell me some abnormalities had been found and I would receive a letter from the hospital with further information. Sure enough the next day I did receive a letter to tell me I tested positive for HPV and that I had high grade (severe) dyakaryosis. I had no idea what this meant! 

I called the hospital as per the letter to make an appointment for a colposcopy, and they gave me an appointment for two days later. It all seemed very rushed. So I went to hospital, met with a lovely nurse and doctor who were very blunt (which I preferred) and told me that the cells were precancerous and would need to be removed at that appointment. They explained that I had been silly not To have been tested prior To that..but To be honest I can't recall much of what else was said.. which is where my concern is. I started off with a normal week and now here I was having this removal procedure - less than 2 weeks after my smear test. I assume because of never had a test they had no idea how long the cells had been abnormal and therefore the best thing to do was take them away.

However because I was completely taken aback all I can think is if that's it, am I in the clear or is there a chance that i may have to go back? Can the doctor doing the procedure be certain of the cells being precancerous and that that the treatment has worked or do they test the cells anyway?? The way the appointment ended it seemed as though it was 'bye, see you in 6 months!' So have no idea what to expect. Like I said I feel like this whole week has been a whirlwind! 

Any advice is appreciated x

Hey, 

I also posted yesterday, wth similar worries. 

You said you had treatment to remove the severe dyskaryosis, did you have Lletzs do you know?  And the same day as your colposcopy? 

I did, they did both at the same appointment for me. I was told I had CIN-3 and that he had removed it and he would see me in 6 months time. 

I should have come away feeling reliced that they caught it before it worsened to cancer. But reading some of these posts some women that have the treatment and the doctor says see you in 6 months time , they end up getting a letter a couple weeks later requesting that they go back and discuss results, now sometimes this is just to discuss results and further management, sometimes it’s to say that there were not clear margins and they need to do another treatment to make sure they get all the abnormal cells and sometimes it is becaise they have found cancer in the abnormal cells. 

Not to worry you of course, by these are what I’m lead to believe can happen and my worries. 

But even if cancer is found in the abnormal cells  which is very unlikely, then it would be a very early stage and probably already removed within The first removal treatment. 

I’m happy to discuss anytime, I get we just read to much up on it and it causes worry.

Ashleigh 28

second abnormal smear- Christmas 2017

colposcopy and lletz - February 7th

awaiting Lletz result.... 

Hi Ashleigh,

Thanks for your post, helps to know i'm not the only one going through this. 

I did have the LLETZ procedure at the same time, think i was a little naive about the whole thing. Thought i would be having an examination and possible biopsy, not removal. 

I walked away a little confused, found myself trying to remember what they said as i was getting dressed. I remember her saying that i would hear within two weeks and that i would need another smear in 6 months but have been driving myself crazy wondering if that meant i'm all clear or not. Its all so confusing! And my anxiety about it all was made worse by the fact this all happended in less than 13 days from smear test to LLETZ. Its so hard not to think about isn't it? I know what will be will be, just wasnt prepared for all of this emotion.

Lindsey x

Hi Lindsey

Haha i remeber i was the same walking away confused, i didn't listen after the procedure, i guess the treatment was a surprise and everything else was a blur.

I'm glad they mentioned to you that you will get your results in 2 weeks, I don't remember them telling me when i'd get my results, but they did mention that they would see me in 6 months for a smear. So hopefully we are both back in 6 months, like many women. I'm sure we are both clear. It's just so hard not to think about, i totally understand.

Keep me updated with your story, best of luck

also how did you find the LLETZ? when they did it it was very uncomfortable, but not so painful. But now 4-5 days after I have some stabby pains and i seem to be leaking a water like liquid, but I have read this happens to other women too

Ashleigh x

Hi Ashleigh

They didn't tell you when you would get the results? Like you say, hopefully we'll both just be seen in 6 months, and all clear after that :-) 

With regards to the procedure itself, i found the adrenaline to be the worst part - i didn't like it at all. I hate anything medical as it is, so did have a little cry i'll admit. I got my period two days after, i knew it was coming, and it was more painful than normal. I normally only have 3 day periods, not too heavy but i do suffer from cramping in a bad way. they were intensified and i can totally symphathise with the stabby pains. I felt like i had trapped wind, but that has since subsided. Now, nothing... at all. I suppose i should count myself lucky, as i've read some horrible stories about the after effects. 

Keep me updated with yours too, its been nice to talk to someone in the same position, don't get me wrong my husband has been great but he doesn't understand in the same way. i think he feels like it's over now, so stop thinking about it. Its a man thing i guess Laughing

Lindsey x