Waiting for trachelectomy..

Hello all! I thought it was time to officially introduce myself. I am in Australia and we don’t have anything as good as Jo’s cervical cancer trust so I’m hitching a ride with you ladies. I haven’t yet posted my own topic, but I have already found immense support on this forum, so thank you all for that. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on Nov 21 (stage 1b1) after a routine (6 months early) pap smear and never having an abnormal result before. I am now waiting for a radical trachelectomy in Melbourne on Jan 16th (waiting for the surgeon to call this week to confirm date). I’d prefer it was tomorrow but short of picking up a scalpel and having a go myself I’m not sure I can do much about it! This whole process has been a massive rollercoaster. I have found the waiting to be excruciating - I always thought I was a patient person but apparently not :slight_smile: I have a 2 year old boy and we would dearly love to give him a brother or sister, so I’m hopeful that will be a possibility. I am nearly 40 and prior to my son we lost our first pregnancy at 20weeks due to spina bifida, so i will be a super dooper high risk pregnancy if we are lucky enough to conceive. It’s all daunting, overwhelming and bizarre - I am trying to focus on enjoying this Christmas with my family. Much love to you all, especially those dealing with new diagnoses or treatment over the holidays xx

Hiya! :-)

Welcome to the forum! :-) I'm so glad you have found us although obviously sorry for the circumstances that made you come looking. I just wanted to send you hugs from Greece and wish you a safe journey through the next little ride.

(((((HUGS)))))

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Cj77

Sorry to read your diagnosis. Sending virtual hugs from Scotland to Oz! I have only visited once but would love to go back to get some of your warm weather!

I just thought I would reply as you are at 1b1 and that is the stage I had and I recently had a trachelectomy. I had never had an abnormal result before either this would have been my 3rd smear so it came as quite a shock. Yes i would absolutely agree that waiting is the worst part!! I thought I was patient too until this happened (I am sure my friends would disagree though). 

Sorry to read about your complications with your 1st pregnancy. Great that you managed to have a son and hope he is well.

If you have any questions about the trachelectomy feel free to ask or PM me.

xx

thank you for your replies tivoli and misstell - you two are very inspiring! I am excited to say that I spoke to the surgeon this morning and he has been able to fit my op in early, so I will now have my trach on Jan3. Very strange to be so happy about having a major op!! Congrats on your all clear Misstell, what do you have to do in terms of followup? x

Hi Cj77

Aw that is great that they have booked you in so soon. I was exactly the same as you - almost excited to be having the surgery! I managed to get a cancellation and was seen earlier than expected and it did honestly lift a weight off my shoulders knowing that I didn't have to wait too long. 

I have just been told I will have a 3 month follow up although others on here I have read have ones after 3 or 6 weeks.. 

Are you having yours done keyhole? I had mine abdominal but the scar is no visible when wearing underwear and to be honest hasn't actually bothered me in terms of appearance. 

You will read plenty of tips on recovery and what to expect on here but if you need any advice let me know! :) x

How did your op go today CJ? Hope you're not feeling too bad.

x

Hey hope all went well today and you get home soon x 

Thanks ladies, op went well but you might read in my other post that results were not all we hoped for. no LN involvement which is really great, but reasonable tumour load, some lvsi and tight margins in specimen mean they would be recommending radio if I wasn't worried about preserving fertility. I thought the waiting and deciding would be over but nope! A bit distraught..  Recovering well from the trach though, walking d1 shower d2 xx