Waiting for LLETZ appointment

Hi there

I was wondering how long people have had to wait between receiving the results of a biopsy and getting an appointment for the LLETZ procedure? My partner received her CIN2/CIN3 result three weeks ago, and the letter said that an appointment would follow but she hasn’t received an appointment yet. She called the hospital this morning and was told that there was no record of an appointment having even been made and that she should call the hospital back next Monday and speak to somebody else who might be able to give her more information. From looking around the internet it appears that this is fairly unusual. My partner is coping pretty well but I’m getting really worried for her. I would really appreciate hearing other people’s experiences.

Thanks!

Hi Mac

Certainly in my area (SE England) it's a lot quicker than that. I got my appointment within a couple of weeks and that was CIN1/2. It does sound like there may have been a screw-up and no appointment made, but if your GF calls the hospital or clinic that did the colposcopy, I am sure they will be able to sort it out. Normally the LLETZ will be done at the same place as the colpo.

Good luck, hope you manage to get it sorted out!

E

Hi

I would agree thats there's been a mix up there so keep phoning.  

In my area the appointment letters are sent out via the hospital trust appointments office and there also seemed to be a delay or mix up in getting my appointment.  I had my biopsies taken on 8 Sept and was told they thought it was CIN 2 and would need treatment but that it could take 6-8 weeks before I'd hear. They said sometimes the letter confirming the biopsy arrives after the appintoment letter and not to worry.  whilst the clinic and staff are lovely the admin process is not great - my results were dictated by the doctor on 29/9 but not typed until 6/10 and then nearly another week until i received the letter!  Although this is all preven it's hard not to get ourselves anxious and worried.  Anyway as I'm going on holiday over Xmas and because it came back CIN 3 I wanted the lletz done as soon as possible otherwise it would be January.  I phoned the apt line around mid Oct and they hadn't received a letter from the consultant seeking an appt time.  I had to go between them the the gynae secretaries - who were all very nice - to get it sorted.  but I do wonder if I had not have phoned when I would have got my appointment.  I was eventually given a date of 28 Nov - over 2 and half months since my colposcopy.  I think this was considered normal enough in my area but from reading this site other areas seem much quicker. I know from a medical point of view this is supposed to be slow moving etc, but still a long hard wait when its so mentally and emotionally worrying. 

Hopefully you'll get the date sorted soon as its one less worry.  I was able to get a cancellation so I just had my treatment this Monday past - and its such a relief to know it's all done.  Still have to wait to get the letter confirming they got it all / clear margins but feeling a lot more positive and stress free now (well for the time being - I'm sure it'll creep back in as get closer to the 4/6 week mark). The lletz and recovery so far has been grand and no where near as bad as I thought it would be - and she'll just be so glad to get it all over!

Best wishes 

Hi moggsy and tishntez

Thanks so much for your responses, yours is especially reassuring tish, thank you. We'll make sure to get the hospital to sort the appointment.