Very anxious about colposcopy tomorrow

Hello

I finally have my colposcopy tomorrow after receiving my abnormal smear results 6 weeks ago. I am so panicked and finding it hard to calm down. I’ve had continuous pelvic pain for a month and can’t stop thinking the worst :pensive: has anyone been through similar?

Kay

Hi, I had the colposcopy a few weeks ago. I will explain my experience. I went in hosp and the nurse sat me down. Went through details and discussed results of smear. She explained the procedure. Later I went into room, undress waist down and gave me some long paper to cover. You can opt to see cervix on screen. I saw to begin and then they turned it around. You pop your feet over leg rests and relax as would smear. I’d have Letz… you have injection and you honestly don’t feel a thing. Then you hear a buzz from the mch and just feel tapping sensation. There may be some bleed but they give you pad before leave. After the procedure you have full ache like period pains. I took ibuprofen before I went to prepare. Then you have few days of what I describe as gross smell and discharge. Sorry TMI. I then had a bleed for some days. Stock up on night pads. Then week after that it was like a watery discharge. That has only just stopped. I feel ok now but those first weeks felt icky. The nurses were great and you will be in and out. I had a lady do the procedure but depends how you feel. Hope that reassures you. I hate anything to do with hospitals etc so know how you feel. You can do this. X

3 Likes

Hi Kay, how did it go? I do hope it wasn’t to bad and is now all over and done with. I had a smear last week and have today opened a letter to say I have HPV and urgent colposcopy next week. I know nothing about HPV or colposcopy so doing some research now. Hope you’re ok. Take care. Gina

Thank you Maz for your reassurance. It went absolutely fine! The nurses were so lovely, talked me through everything and put my mind at ease. It turned out that I have mild cell changes and will need another smear in a year.

I really wouldn’t worry too much Gina, it really is a prevention tool to deal with abnormal cells early, so I imagine the most that would happen is you would have the abnormal cells removed! I spent ages worrying and it turned out to be absolutely fine.

Keep us posted, this forum has been great for easing my anxiety x

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile: I had a LLETZ done today and I did a LOT of research about everything (I have horrific anxiety and am also a very logical and pragmatic person so I like to have all the facts)
So if you have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way :slight_smile:

1 Like