Vault Smear

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in such a long while.  I wanted to ask a question.  I have my next review coming up (24th Oct) - but in the meantime I have also received a letter - Standard one - asking me to book in for a smear test.  Obviosuly I have had a radical hysterectomy, so what do I do?  Do I call my local GP surgery or do I mention this at my review?  I keep hearing things about a "Vault smear".  What is a Vault smear?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had radiation treatment? 

Hi hun, 

No, no radiation treatment, just a radical hysterectomy.xxx

I was just asking because the vault smear isn't much use if you  have had radiotherapy. Worth doing if you just had a hysterectomy though. 

thanks you.  What is a vault smear?  I've never heard of it?  Do I book in with my GP or wait until my check up, which is already scheduled?  Very confused.com - lol

I do wonder if it's accidentally been sent out for a routine smear. I'd ring your doctors to double check. A vault smear is taking a sample from the top where your cervix use to be. I would have thought your hospital follow ups would offer one rather than your GP xx

I reieved my routine smear test invitation, I called my gp practice and they apologised and removed me from the list as I’m no longer eligible for them (I did have radio, chemo and brachytherapy treatment) apparently it’s quite common for us to not be removed from the screening programme.  Take it along to your review and ask what the process for yourself will be going forward. 

Hope all goes well for your review x

Hi

I had 2 vault smears during my consultant check ups period - one at 6 months and one at 12 months.  

I've still been getting invitations from NHS for a routine smear and my GP said to check with my consultant if one was necessary now.  He said no and so they are removing my name from the programme.

Hugs

Cheryl,xx

Thanks ladies for all your feedback.  I will be sure to mention this at my next appointment.  i will keep you updated xxxxx