Smear test post treatment

I've been invited for a smear test by my GP. From what I've read on here, I don't need to have one as the results will be inconclusive due to treatment (to be honest, previous smears didnt pick my cancer up anyway). I've spoken to the GP today as when i phoned up to cancel the request the receptionist was adamant that i needed to have one so she made me a telephone consultation with the GP. The GP was so unsure of the situation. I explained everything to her and she very reluctantly took me off the list for smears. It's made me really doubt myself. I no longer go for checks as I don't get scans or even internals so the consultant agreed to discharge me on the provision that I go back if there was any problems. 

No real reason for my post - I just wanted to get it off my chest!

Out of interest though, had anyone had a smear test post chemorads?

Hey lovely, I have no personal experience other than my consultant said during one of my many meetings with him that I'll never have a smear again as the results would be inconclusive due to treatment, I will no doubt be having a similar conversation with my doctors surgery at some point in the future. 
much love xxx 

Hi Philleepa

I get a smear test every time I go for my checkups. They call it a vault smear here in the U.S. I had a hysterectomy and chemo rads but no brachytherapy when I had my treatment which was almost three years ago ,I go for my check up March the 9th and I will have a vault smear then. My doctor said I will always get one. I hope this helps some for you.

I had a smear test post treatment, and my doctor said he will continue to do them. He said it's not going to come back perfect but he'll know what he's looking for. So kind of confusing, but I guess doctors do things differently everywhere. I'm from the U.S

Hello my lovely Friend 

I recall exactly as you say that we are no longer required to take part in cervical smear tests. If I remember rightly one of my first diagnosis letters to my GP requested that I be removed from the list, shortly afterwards I received a reminder and eventually my GP did make sure I was removed so sounds like the same admin issue with your doctors surgery too.

xxx

Hi Philleepa

I had a radical hysterectomy and was sent a letter from the national smear test centre informing me I'd been removed from screening as it was no longer required.

If it's praying on your mind I'd ring the gynae department where you were treated and ask them to find out for you. They can always find out from a consultant and it will put your mind at rest. I bet they've probably been asked the question many times. 

Helen xxxx

Thank you ladies. I'm not going to follow this up. The advice from the hospital when I got discharged was to go back if there was a problem. I'm happy with that.

My doctor told me a smear will be useless, I won't be getting them anymore. 

Hi Philleepa,

I have had two papsmears and they both came back good. The second one came back extra good pap 1 C1 (which means they had cells they only get when the smear is performed perfectly). But to be honest my smears did not pick up my cancer either. I had been walking with symptoms and bleeding and huge clots for over 2 years. I have had about 4 smears in those years and they all came back good. After 2 years i went back to the GYN once again and demanded them taking out my uterus because the bleeding was so bad and i had lots of watery discharge at that point. They put me under to do a LLETZ because they thought my cervix was sensitive... and finally saw the cancer. So im also a bit holding back when it comes to smears.. but ill take them though. Ill take anything they offer me.