Urinary pain

Hello all,
I just wanted to get a rough estimate on how long it took for your urinary pain to stop after treatment. It is my first week post treatment and I did take a course of antibiotics but I am still experiencing pain. I plan to retest urine this week for infection but it seems to me like it’s just pain from external radiation. Just trying to stay calm and not worry too much.

Hi Dandy

I lost count of the number of times I worried about various aches and pains especially during the first 2 years post treatment. I called my CNS on several occasions for advice and reassurance.

Where exactly is your urinary pain? ?urethra ?bladder ?higher up. The urinary pain I had was mainly urethral always associated with UTIs (I’ve had 11 since my treatment) and once my kidneys ached when a UTI went untreated for a few days. If you’ve recently had a UTI then your pain might possibly be due to a bit of irritation that hasn’t quite calmed down yet?

You’re only a week out of treatment so it’s super early days and, as you are probably aware, radiotherapy goes on working for quite a while. ‘Radiation cystitis’ is a possible long term effect of pelvic radiotherapy; I would have thought it’s too soon after your treatment to think this might be your problem but FYI the following link might be helpful:

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/living-with-cervical-cancer/prd/symptoms/bladder-changes

x

Thank you, Jazza!
I will check out that link. My pain is in the urethra and I sometimes leak a little urine also.
Yes, I agree it is probably too soon to worry about it being anything serious. It is probably after effects of external radiation and/or irritation from the catheter used during brachy. I was just looking to gauge a time line where I might start feeling better. I read a lot that 3-4 weeks post external is when a lot of side effects peak and that is where I am at now. I am resting a lot, and trying not to stress. Hoping to return to as close to normal as possible.

It took 3 weeks for mine to go, now I just have pain when my stent rubs in my bladder.

1 Like

Can take a few weeks my lovely! Drink plenty of fluids and cranberry juice. I found little sachets in Tesco, they’re cranberry too. Uou mix them with water 2/3 times a day. My brachytherapy nurse recommended them. Really helped me. Theyre found with the hold n flu remedies, paracetamol etc.

1 Like