Trying to understand?

Hi all,
So I’ve just turned 25 and reluctantly went for my first smear about a month ago,
My results came back with low grade dyskarosis and hpv infection. Well I had never even heard of hpv and was absolutely terrified after reading the letter all I could think was I had some incurable sti and could never have sex again!
Anyway I’ve done my research and am aware of how commen it is but I can’t help thinking it’s something that’s awful to have and how will it effect my sex life ect! I think I’m more worried about the fact that I have no idea how long I’ve had it for or the abnormal cells.
I have a colposcopy a week Monday and I’m scared of what they’re going to say/find/do. Anyone had similar results and what was your experience?
Any advice would be much appreciated as these last few weeks I’ve just been very up and down about everything!

If you have a look on the following link, you will be able to find out more about colposcopies: (copy and past the link into your browser)

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/about-cervical-cancer/cervical-screening-smear-test-and-abnormal-cells/abnormal-cervical-screening-results/colposcopy

Lisa (Forum moderator)

Hi I have had low grade cells for over two years. my first abnormal pap was 2014. I had to wait 6months for a retest which came back normal, 6 months again which came back abnormal low grade again so went to colposcopy.they took a biopsy and that came back cin1(no treatment needed) and to have a smear a year later. Fast forward to now. Had a smear in january. I was tested for hpv this time and yup.. high risk hpv and low grade changes AGAIN. Not going to lie I have cried because this is on going. Anyhow like you I have good days and bad.its a good thing you have been hpv tested now as I had to wait at least 6months to be tested again. I have to go back to the colp tomorrow.:( the colp itself isn't that bad.Just like a smear with a screen to watch it.(not that I dId)It's just the wait and the wondering That is the hardest part.im nervous and could do without the stress(as we all can eh??) anyway I don't think you should beat yourself up about the hpv.my doctor has said most people will get it (it's just a virus)during there life time and never know they have it, as their body will clear it. But for some of us it hangs around a bit longer.Maybe just try and concentrate on boosting your immune system. I have tried but very recently starting taking shiitake mushrooms from holland and Barrett. A few women have spoken about them being brilliant in sorting The hpv out ,it's £20 a bottle though :/ make sure you keep you appointments and I'm sure they will look after you. I have found that talking helps.stay off google and try and only read posts that relate to you. hope your ok .il try and post back after tomorrow. xx

Thank you, I have just ordered some shiitake mushrooms, worth a shot!! 

Its very stressful I'm with you on that! But nice to be able to speak to people in similar situations!

hope all goes okay today, let me know how you get on x

Hi again. Ok so went to my appionment this morning feeling like a nervous wreck and to my surprise I got out of there with the best results of back to 3year recall. Il start at the beginning and try to remember everything she said to me.

ok, she explained that low grade cells are literally the smallest change and they don't like treating them as treating low grade cells would in fact make more work for your body than actually letting your own immune system beat it.they have more people coming back with treated low grade cells than letting it heal.hpv will cause the cells to change( it's a virus and sooner or later your body will get rid of the infection so I think doing the vitamin thing is an excellent help).. Hpv is different from person to person. Some people will have it for a few months and others will have it for years.(like me.. there was a joke about me loving the place which is why I was back). she did say from the smear sample taken that they now test for hpv Because the thing they know is that hpv high risk is mostly involved in causing cervical cancer so She said if a sample shows to have hpv+ then the sample will most of the time get noted down as low grade changes anyway.even if they haven't actually got any Changes (confused)...anyhow...she took a look on the camera thing. It ain't really that bad. I didn't look last time I went as I think I was scared of seeing something bad, but this time I really focused trying to learn what I could. this defiantly helped. There was a slight change but they tested it with iodine and decided that it was just it healing from the hpv infection I gather... the big questions are. Did the low grade cells clear itself( just a bit longer than others) or did the vitamins help it. I can't say for sure but for the past year I have been taking vitamin c with zinc, b12 complex, and a multi vitamin. The last 3 weeks I have been taking shittake mushrooms with a green tea tablet and A multi vitamin in the morning and a vitamin c and green tea tablet at night. I have no idea if any of this has helped or just the fact giving my body time to sort itself on its own but my cervix defiantly looked better than the year before and as the doctor said giving yourself a boost is good anyway.

i hope this has helped a little bit. It's hard to remember as its so damm confusing lol but stay positive. Hopefully your outcome will be like mine. goodluck xx

That's amazing news! Bet it was such a relief for you to hear that! 

Thank you so much aswell for giving me a break down on everything youve made me feel a lot better about my appointment now, I did speak to the nurse (the same one who did my smear actually called me) she told me that what they found is a very minimal change in cells and that a couple of years ago I wouldn't have been sent for a colp but the guidelines have changed and they now send everyone with small changes in just so they can have a better look. I imagine she would have had all the magic numbers and letters infront of her. I've just now received a letter to say my appointment had been cancelled and pushed back two weeks?!! More waiting and worrying but I guess if it was of worry I'd be in sooner right?! 

Yes defiantly :) that's what they kept telling me. They would have you in quick as if they thought it was anything sinister.and she is right. It's all different now  so your lucky your being seen as I had to wait a year before even that.

As for my appionment this time I actually got a cancellation this time by ringing up every couple of days and nagging them As my appionment was 5 weeks away.they put me on stand by.Could be worth a try if you want it out of the way. I'm glad you feel better try not to worry  xx take care

Thought I would add an update.

Went for my colposcopy on Monday, terrified and I cried as soon as I walked in the room! But the nurses were all so lovely. She explained if she saw any changes she would take a biopsy and if she didn't I would be sent on my way 

So she said she could see some changes and took a biopsy, now I just have to wait for results (the worst part!)

I felt sore and had tummy ache for the duration on the day on Monday but yesterday I felt absolutely fine, smallest amount bleeding and not sore but then last night I passed what I can only assume is a blood clot? It looked awful and scared me but i havent had any excessive bleeding or anything, does any one know if passing a blood clot is normal?! I'm thinking about ringing my doctors to speak to someone but I feel I've already badgered them enough!