They've found another growth

I'am worried, i had a radical hysterectomy in October 2020, its only been a couple months and already the doctors have found a new growth, they have taken a biopsy and i'am awaiting results but i feel like i already know what its going to come back with.Is that crazy??.. 

I dont want to worry my partner or my family, has anyone been through the same thing? What happens when cancer is reoccurring?? I only just had my 30th birthday, me and partner were discussing having a child when i got the diagnosis, now its not possible since the operation but we thought we could foster or adopt but whats the point if the cancer is gonna keep coming back... 

What is the treatment options for recurring cervical cancer?? How likely are they to work? Is it going to just keep coming back?

I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice, I just didn't want to read and run, I hope someone will offer you some support soon. 
I hope that you get good results quickly, unfortunately this seems to be the gift that keeps on giving. Stay strong and don't write yourself off just yet lovely, even worst case scenario there may be other treatments which could work 

big hugs xxx 

Hi Jane,

Sorry you're having to deal with the horrible stress of again waiting for results. There really is no easy answer to your question. It depends on so many things like where it is, is it contained within the pelvis, is there limp nodes involved or even is it definitely recurrence and not some type of scar tissue from your previous surgery. I see you have already had the radical hysterectomy but that means if it is worst case scenario you still have the option of chemo or radio available. At the start of treatment I had something else show up on my pet scan that they thought could be secondary bowel cancer and it turned out to be a simple ovarian cyst. I really hope you get some answers soon. Keeping everything crossed for you. Let us know how you get on!

x Maria

Hi Jane,

i am sorry to hear your that they found something after your surgery. I understand it very difficult for you as I am in the same age group. We were also discussing with my partner to have children and get married and then this is what happen. Unfortunately for me it wasn't possible the surgery option thus I undertook 5 chemo cisplarin, 25 rads and 3 brachy. It was a tough 1.5 month period but then you manage it. I believe the period that you don't know exactly what it is going on is the most difficult one. Please try not to stress too much ( I know easy said than done) for things that you cannot control. I hope everything goes well for you after the biopsy. 

best wishes 

Maria

Hi there.

There are treatment options leading to cure for cancer recurrence . First of all you need to know exactly what you are dealing with. If you haven't already had radiotherapy this remains a treatment option for you. I had chemoradiotherapy after already having had a hysterectomy. It's all doable and survivable.

Karen x 

Hi

I had a hysterectomy for 1b1 cervical cancer in May 2018. First check was all fine, on the second check in January 2019 the consultant found a growth and removed it to test. I really was in a state of shock like you. The result came back as scar tissue which is really common. I can't say don't worry as you are bound to, I was off the scale but it ended up okay  Xxx

Thank you all for your words of wisdom, i'am trying to stay busy and not think about it too much untill the results come back, i will let you all know the outcome.

Its encouraging to hear that there is still other options available if it has come back, did anyone have any symptoms for recurrence? I've been having abnormal bleeding and pain with intercourse, and strange tingles and niggles down below... 

Hi MaryJane,

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I had a radical hysterectomy in 2018 for 1b1 adenocarcinoma. 4 months later, while getting a 2nd opinion at MD Anderson, they found it had already grown back on the vaginal cuff. I had 25 rounds of radiation plus 8 rounds of boost and 5 cycles of cisplatin in 2019. 3 months later, PET showed NED, but 6 months later it had grown back again but this time it had spread to the lungs, 3 nodules, 1cm tumor on abdominal wall, and again back on the vaginal cuff. That's 2020 and they gave me a prognosis of "at least one year". Stats for recurrent and metastatic cervical cancer are 17% chance of survival with many not making it past 18 months. I live alone so I sold my house and moved to my sister's house. I figured I'm a goner!

I did 6 rounds of Carboplatin, Taxol and Avastin. The PET after 3 cycles showed lungs clear and abdominal one clear but the vaginal cuff was unchanged. But PET scan after the 6 cycles showed NED. That was in July 2020. My doc wanted to do another 3 cycles but I was really beat up and asked to take a break. At the next PET scan in October 2020, it was NED. I was happy for like 5 minutes then started freaking out coz I know how agressive my cancer is and how fast it grows back. The doc said since I've had 2 PETs clear, we'll go back to physical exams, but I said no, I'd like to have another PET in February 2021, just so I can see NED PET scans that are 6 months apart. He said ok.

So yesterday, I drove 4 hrs to Houston, from Dallas, to MD Anderson to get my PET/CT and drove back. I have a copy of the scan report already but I'm scared to open it. My followup call with the doc is later today to discuss it. I'm terrified of what the result is. I can't bear it if it's returned again. I'll have to toughen up and open the report. 

Moral of the long story is don't be discouraged even though you've had a recurrence so soon. It sucks for sure but there are treatments and you may be lucky. Don't give up hope. Good luck!

1 Like