Symptoms and screening

Hello everyone - I was hoping to get insight from anyone who has had similar symptoms and screening results. I am a 37 y/o with one child.

Every screening up until 2020 was negative for both HPV and cell changes. I live in the US and have my exam annually with no missed appointments since my first period.

I tested positive for high risk HPV (not 16/18 or 45) in July of 2020. My smear came back negative . Obgyn recommended to wait for my next exam in 2021 to see if it clears or needs more tests at that time.

I tested positive for high risk HPV again (not 16/18 or 45) and the smear test came back negative or clear in August of 2021.

From the last smear to this most current one I have experienced watery white discharge, frequent urination and minor lower back pain. I was also screened for BV, other STIs and yeast all with a negative result. I have not been sexually active since 2019 and I am not experiencing any spotting or heavy or longer periods (they may seem lighter, though).

Obgyn recommended a colopscopy and took 3 biopsys. 2 were highlighted with the acid solution and one from the middle of the cervix as she said it was standard (for that one). colopscopy went fine, just uncomfortable with the speculum and did not feel the biopsy punches. Light bleeding afterwards and from what I’m reading, normal healing.

I have to wait 2 weeks for the results and was advised before the procedure that results are only discussed in office.

I feel that my best case scenario is CIN 3 and my fear is that bc of the symptoms I’m experiencing that I am most definitely cancerous. And the obgyn will be handing me uncologist contacts.

Has anyone had similar experiences and can share where they are now? I’m obviously very stressed and worried and not sleeping well and can say that my life has stopped until this upcoming appointment. Any details about symptoms and outcomes of said symptoms would be helpful for me.

Really sorry to hear you’re going through this. On the basis they didn’t do a LEEP there and then and only took biopsies, this is a very good sign. If it were visible high grade cells at the colposcopy my understanding is that they ask to do a LEEP/LLETZ there and then.

The symptoms you describe can be attributed to so many other things and are not often attributed to cervical cancer unless it is very advanced… And if it were very advanced they wouldn’t have taken only 3 biopsies x

1 Like

Thank you Lemon Lavender!

In the US I don’t think it’s typical to perform a LEEP during an initial colopscopy. Whether it be bc of insurance or otherwise (US medical systems, ugh!).

I was tested for other items at my smear as I made sure to tell the OBGYN my symptoms. BV, Tric, yeast, chlamedia, gohnorea - all those tests came back negative. My mind says, ok well if it’s not those illnesses and I have high risk HPV then wouldn’t it logically be CC.

Idk what else to think.

Hi there.

I think.you need to remember that you have been for your smears every year and it is all preventing you from getting CC. Your smears have come back negative and just because you have HPV it doesn’t mean that it definitely has effected the cells. It could just be the virus.
I know you have the discharge but is that constant and foul smelling? I believe that could be a symptom but you would definitely be very unlucky to have developed CC in such a short amount if time.

Sending lots of positivity x