Swelling post radical trachelectomy

Hello ladies

I was wondering how quickly your swelling around groin and legs went down after radical trachelectomy?? For me it's been 7 weeks now and the swelling doesn't seem to be going down:( I am starting to think I am developing(developed) lymphodemia and almost scared to contact my doctor about it. I do not recognise my body anymore. I know it could have been much worse and I should be happy that I do not need more treatment but I really just want to feel like myself. I came back to work just shy of 4 weeks after surgery thinking that it would get me feel normal again but should have stayed off longer I guess. It turned out that my manager, who was living at the time of my surgery, did not arrange for even a minimal cover so now I have been catching up with months’ worth of back lock!!? I didn’t tell anyone at work about what I was going through with exception to my line manager and HR as I didn’t want for people to change their attitude towards me and now as I am back everyone expects that I will be up and running with everything at no time. Feel under a lot of pressure, at time at breaking point … my body is not helping.

Hi!

Thought I'd reply allthough I only had a cone and lymph node removal instead of the planned trachelectomy.. I haven't had any swelling in my legs, but had quite a bit in my groin, lower stomach and the pubic bone. It appeared around 3 days post surgery not helped by the fact I was up and running 4 days post surgery. My swelling disappeared a couple of weeks after, I still have some numbness around the groin though. 

I was told it was normal to still be swollen 6-7 weeks after as the body is adjusting. Have you been to the lymphoedema clinic? I had an appointment 2 weeks after my op where they checked me and prescribed full length compression tights to wear for 6 months.. I hate them-my legs itch terribly but I'm wearing them as a precaution anyway.

Maybe you can tell at work that you've had a gynaecological op as I found this to be quite a good explanation for when I didn't want to go into more detail.. People tend to not ask more questions after but seem to understand that I might not be as mobile or fast as before..

All the best, hope your swelling gets better soon!

xx Anna

Aga - I completley know how you feel and the worry and anxiety you're going through. I had radical hysterectomy with overy and lymph node removal 8 weeks ago and am also worried sick about lymphadema. Now and again I have a 'puddingy' feeling over my pubic area, more so at one side and a few times now the leg on the same side has swollen up at the top, it didnt actually feel like my leg anymore. It seems to come and go. I had pain and heaviness too - did you? I went to my GP who said he didnt think it was lymphadema as the area wasnt hard but he said it couldn't be prevented if it was to turn out to be ! but to stop me nagging and crying all over his desk has refered me to have it looked at anyway. I am not prepared to accept this so am busy researching how to minimize it. Can any other ladies reading this advise us both please??

Go to the doctor and get it checked - not going won't change anything. You will continue to worry and from what I've read if it turns out to be and I hope for you not, then the earlier it's caught the better.

Other than that I feel fine, no pain anywhere else but am staying off work another couple of weeks as I don't feel mentally ready to return. You may have gone back too soon. I would tell people you've had a big op - don't struggle on. Your head needs to catch up with the strain your body has been through.

Its really hard what we are all going through but its Nov and next year is a new year and a new you.

Lots of Love

Melanie xx

Thank you girls!!! It's reassuring to hear your healing journey. The swelling is slowly going down:) 

Hi, I'm in a similar position to you.  8 weeks post radical hysterectomy and lymph node dissection op and my ankles, knee and left thigh are quite swollon as is left side pubic area.

No pain and it reduces after a sleep.  Just wondering, should I go for walks to reduce or put my feet up?  Struggle with trousers.  

Im not in pain but like a lot of people a but disheartened after getting this far.  Can't find any info about how to reduce the swelling.  Hate bothering busy doctors and nurses.

Thanks

Ami