Swelling after Lymph Node Removal

Hi :slight_smile:
I had my pelvic lymph nodes removed by key hole surgery on Thursday and today I woke up with swelling on my left upper thigh/left side of pubic area. It feels squidgy and seems to have been getting bigger throughout the day.
Could this be lymphedema already or is this swelling normal soon after surgery? I don’t know whether it’s something I should be worried about or if it’s normal.
Thank you.
X

Hi Jenny Way too soon for lymphoedema just swelling. Another little inconvenience hopefully you'll be right in a couple of weeks

Hi Jayneeeb :)

Thank you for replying. It seems to have gone down a bit overnight but it's still there.

I'm a bit worried as blood clot symptoms seem to be similar to just normal swelling!

x

Hi Jenny :-)

You have just had lymph nodes removed so your lymph is lost and doesn't know quite where to go. It should sort itself out all be itself soon enough. When nodes are removed this is more than just 'normal' it can't not happen. Please don't worry that it is anything else.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi Tivoli :)

Thank you. You've made me feel less worried about it :)

It seems to go while I sleep and then come back throughout the day so it must be finding somewhere to go at night!

x

At night when you are asleep your heart pumps more slowly and so the pressure is lower. That means that there is less lymph backing up to cause a swelling. But yes, the very fact that it does dissipate overnight does mean it's not completely stuck doesn't it :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hey Jenny 

I had this too and noticed a differnce between day and night and it also depended how much activity I had done that day eg walking. I still have very slight swelling above my incision and numbness but otherwise please don't worry the swelling will go down x 

Hi Misstell :)

Thank you. I'm glad that it's normal then!

The swelling has gone down by quite a lot already :)

It's weird because it feels numb but at the same time sore!

x

Hi I hope you don't mind me asking. And I hope you can reply to this. Iv had pain for years and as the years go on the pains get worse iv just been diagnosed with cin2 but this wouldn't cause the pain apparently. But I was reading my hospital notes and found stated on ct results that I have prominent mesentric lymph nodes on my right iliac fossa.  Please could you maby help me with this as I don't understand a thing and doctors are not acting on this.    XXX 

Hi Jodie :)

Sorry, I have no idea what that means but hopefully someone will come along and be able to explain what it means. If not, there's an ask the expert section on this website so you could perhaps submit your question through that and hopefully someone can let you know if the lymph nodes are what is causing your pain.

x

Jennyyy,

ah the swelling! This has plagued me since my op 25/11. My groin on oneside felt and looked very swollen, I was so worried about lymphodema. I have been reassused that it maybe fluid but it should go down and tbh it has not like it was before but getting better. I also still have numbness in the groin and thighs which I been told is also normal and could take up to 6 months to go. Mak sure you aren't over doing things and rest up.

good luck x