Strange leg pain

Hi everyone,

I am just over 2 months out of chemo/rads and started back at work about 2 weeks ago.

I have a desk job so sitting down for most of the day, but Ive noticed when i sit for a few hours or more my right leg starts to feel tight and achy. Does anyone else get this type of pain? Could it be lymphodema starting?

I have an MRI booked in the next 2 weeks and an appointment with oncologist early August to check if treatment has been successful so i will mention it to the doctor then, but just wanted to check if anyone else had had anything similar happen to them?

As always any help appreciated.

Amy xx

Hi Amyr17

A tight and achy leg could be the start of lymphoedema. I developed lymphoedema shortly after completion of my treatment; it started off with a feeling like I’d strained a muscle in my groin and I also had a bit of swelling in the top of my thigh. But everyone’s a bit different regarding initial signs and lymphoedema is no exception.

Definitely let your oncologist know - mine sent for an MRI when my lymphoedema swelling got worse on one occasion. Plus you could also give your CNS a call. If it is lymphoedema it’s important to get a referral to a lymphoedema clinc asap either via your oncology team or GP; it’s a progressive condition and and early diagnosis/treatment will get your a better long term outcome. Be aware that not all health professionals (even some oncology teams) are well educated about lymphoedema so don’t be fobbed off with things like ‘just wear cycle shorts’ etc.

If you’re in the UK I recommend the following links for further information and sign-posting:

www.lymphoedema.org
www.lymphoedemaunited.com

One thing you could try is to elevate your leg when you’re sitting - this should help your leg to feel more comfortable if it is lymphoedema. As you have a desk job could you get some sort of footrest? - I’ve got my lymphie leg on an upturned plastic box as I type this lol. If you are diagnosed with lymphoedema your workplace should support you with things like getting a suitable footrest etc.

I’m no expert and if you’re worried, the pain persists etc don’t delay getting professional advice.

x

Hi Jazza,

Thank you so much for replying.

Its a strange one because i only get the pain when ive been sitting at my desk for a while. Now ive got up and walked around a bit its stopped.

It does feel like a pulled muscle sometimes and then other times it can feel like my foot has swollen.

Ill give my CNS a call and see what she says, ive still got the hospital stockings from when i had my RH so might try wearing those again. Not going to be fun in this heat :rofl:

Thanks again
Amy xx

Exercise e.g walking is good for leg lymphoedema as it helps to get the lymph fluid moving. One of the worst things is going for a while without moving especially standing still - I’ve been known to sit on the ground when I get stuck in a long queue lol. Your hospital stockings may or may not help - avoid anything constrictive on your leg as that can have a tourniquet effect and stop lymph fluid moving. I can talk forever about lymphoedema :grimacing:…hope you get a definitive answer soon.

x

Thank you so much Jazza, really appreciate your help :blush: xxx