Starting Treatment

Hello everyone 

I am due to start my treatment tomorrow 5 chemo cisplatin and 25 radiotherapy. My feelings are all over the place. Worried about hair loss and sickness any advice would be appreciated.

thank you 

Hi, I'm 4 months out of treatment. You can and will kick it's bum. 

Cispltin doesn't cause you loose your hair. During chemo I didn't have any sickness either. Stay hydrated and drink loads. 

Thank you Harvitt for your re-assuring response I have been waiting to start and now it's here worried sick. 

You can do this!  I am 1 year out, you won't loose your hair on cisplatin. You might shed a bit more but you won't go bald. 

I didn't feel sick at all during treatment. Just take your anti nausea drugs as perscribed and don't wait until you feel sick, just take them according the schedule they will give you. If they don't work there are loads of different drugs they can give you.

You got this! 

It is very doable. I had my treatment in Feb 2018 for CC 2b

I have had a recent MRI and regular examinations and everything is still all clear. The treatment was a lot better than I thought it would be. The staff and other patients were great. My hair very slightly thinned, but I think that was because I took part in a clinical trial before the standard chemorad treatment, where different chemo is used. 

The scariest bit was being snowed in at hospital.

Everyone is different, but most say it is doable, and this forum is fantastic for advice and guidance. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Karen x

Thank you all for your words of support and well done to you all for completing your treatment. 

Nearly one year out from treatment (same as yours). Did suffer with some nausea but I was never once sick and definitely did not loose my hair. The staff were amazing throughout. I was really worried about the long chemo days but to be honest I actually found them very relaxing. I read, watched Peaky Blinders on my iPad or had a chat with some of the other patients. About 4 days after the chemo each week I suffered a bit of a comedown off the steroids but immediately felt better on day seven when given the steroids again. The radiotherapy can get a bit difficult with sore skin towards the end. Let the staff know of any problems you are having straight away. They are really good at offering a different medication or giving you creams etc., for sore skin. It feels like a bit of a mountain at the start but you can do this. Shout if you have any questions and we'll try our best to answer. Best of luck on your first day to becoming cancer free. 
x Maria

Thank you Maria 

thinking of you today! 

Thank you Izzzy76.
Well that's day one out of the way 10 hours but not  as bad has I thought it would be but I know it will become more difficult fingers crossed I can do it 

You sure can! Just take good care of yourself. Rest. Try to eat whatever you feel like eating, and drink, drink, drink. Flush those kidneys 

Hi Petal14! I am new to this forum but am in a similar situation to yourself so wanted to say hello! I have gone through the diagnosis, the scans, the waiting and radiation is going to be my primary treatment - initially a 28 day cycle with once weekly chemotherapy to 'promote' the radiation. After that, if it is working, they will look at brachytherapy. I have a CT scan on the 29th which apparently needs to be done prior to radiation then my treatment starts on the 12th October. My cancer is locally advanced with the involvement of one lymph node. My staging of 3 is - I think - due to the size ... It is about 6.5 x 5cm and I suspect may have grown since the last measurement. It is very strange to think that I have something so large inside me! I was/am also worried about losing my hair but they said that my chemo is low dose so, while I may lose some, it shouldn't cause much. To be honest that didn't do much to reassure me! It is such a scary time and very difficult for a lot of people to understand so if you ever want to talk or cry or vent ... I'm here. I don't know if there are private messages on here? Speak soon, Laura.