So worried and upset

Hi all, first time posting here and after seeing how supportive everyone is, I feel that it would be good to hear other people’s thoughts on what I’ve been experiencing.

I’m 26, had my first smear three years ago and all normal, had my second smear about a month ago and it has come back positive for HPV with “abnormal cell changes” - I obviously had a bit of a meltdown seeing those words and I’m extremely worried about what this could mean for me down the line where fertility and having children is concerned.

I’m still in the very early days of my journey with this (I’m still waiting on a call back from my doctor to see what the next steps are!) but my biggest concern is what this means for the long term. Even if my colposcopy comes back with CIN1, does this not mean that in 10 or 20 years time, I could have CIN2 or 3? I know monitoring this and keeping on top of my cervical health will be key to staying healthy but I am paralysed by fear and worry over this. I am so worried that this will develop further as time goes on.

Has anyone had a similar experience to this, or knows how this is likely to go? Any advice would be so so greatly appreciated, as I feel so alone right now.

Hey @KMaFitz

I’ve just read your post and didn’t want to just walk on by knowing that you’re worrying and would really like to try and help ease your worries.

Please try not to panic, I know it’s easier said than done! I’ve been in your position, and I know the fear is very real!

Did they say if the abnormal cells we’re high or low grade?

If your colposcopy comes back as CIN1 it’s very likely they’ll want to watch and wait, as these changes tend to reverse and disappear on their own…. And won’t ever progress to anything more :relaxed:

I had the same result as you a couple of years ago, I had a colposcopy and three biopsies and it was confirmed the changes were viral - my following smear came back clear for abnormal cells :raised_hands:t3:

Please don’t feel alone though because you’re definitely not, there are so many of us in very similar situations, and the more we talk about it, the more common it is :raised_hands:t3:

Like you say, you’re in the very early stages, and you’re going to br absolutely fine. Keep healthy, try to keep positive, and definitely trust the process :kissing_heart: xx

Hi @sammie75! I can’t thank you enough for your lovely words, you’ve really set me much more at ease with everything.

My doctor came back to me and confirmed the cell changes are low grade, most likely CIN1 and she’s said she doesn’t see any reason to be overly concerned but that I should still get the colposcopy to make sure all is ok. I think I’ll insist on having a biopsy done because I think I’ll be up the wall worrying anyway if they don’t test the tissue!

Another thing she mentioned was that she expects the HPV infection to clear itself in the space of 18 months - I wish the initial letter had made that clearer.

Thank you so much for the kind words, I don’t think anything over the last few days has made me feel calmer! xx

Ahhh you’re so welcome @KMaFitz ! I’m glad it’s made you feel better and calmer about it all! :kissing_heart:

The letters definitely need to be looked at! They put the fear of god into people unnecessarily sometimes! :roll_eyes:

Your doctor is absolutely right though in what she’s said to you and I would also have the biopsies done just to be on the safe side.

The chances of clearing the virus is very very likely, I’ve got two friends who both tested positive last year and are both negative this year :raised_hands:t3::partying_face:

Wishing you all the luck! Keep smiling girl :sunglasses: xx