Smear test due

I last had my smear test in Oct 2019. I live in Scotland and testing has only recently changed to 5 years. I was due again last year and not received a letter. Surely I should be having a smear now and not waiting until 5 years as the type of test they use has changed? Feeling a bit worried about it as feel I’ve been forgotten and because I don’t think GP will let be book without a letter.

Im from northern Ireland mine was due last Feb as the 3 yearly mark an i only got an app in Sept fast forward to getting my smear results i only got them 2 weeks ago an that was from Sept theres a back log apparently but if you feel you need your smear sooner push for it bo matter what i had to push an push to get my results to find out i had HPV an minor changes disaster over here xx

Hi glow and welcome

I think it is unlikely your GP can override the cervical screening programme. Even if the GP agrees to a smear the lab will probably reject it because, going from other experiences on this forum, they adhere to guidelines of the screening policy. I’m not an expert and there’s no harm in trying if you wish.

In the meantime be aware of symptoms of cervical cancer, and if you have any concerns don’t wait for a smear invitation but get an appointment with the GP who will be able to carry out suitable tests and make urgent referrals if required.

There is information about the symptoms of cervical cancer on this website - see following link:

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/cervical-cancer/about-cervical-cancer/symptoms

x