Scotland - screening changed to 5 years? - Confused

Hi, I had my last smear test in June 2018. I was expecting my next one in 2021 but my GP surgery are saying it’s now 5 years between cervical screening tests in Scotland. From reading up on it, a more sensitive test was introduced in March 2020 testing for HPV. If HPV negative then you will be invited for your next smear in 5 years.
I thought that surely those who had had their last smear prior to the roll out of the new HPV test, like myself, would still need to attend screening after 3 years - Then if HPV negative would move to 5 yearly screenings from then on? I don’t know if HPV was tested for in 2018 and don’t have my results letter anymore. Wondering if anyone in Scotland knows if I should be due it now? Thanks

1 Like

Hi, it’s the same in Ireland. It’s all changed with HPV testing. If you’re between 25 and 29 years of age, you will usually have a cervical screening test every 3 years. If you’re between 30 and 65 years of age, you will usually have a cervical screening test every 5 years. I see your point if you’re last test wasn’t tested for HPV why do you have to wait five years. I think it’s like this in England and Australia too. 5 years seems like such a long time.

1 Like

Hi, I live in Scotland too and I don’t think this is right. I agree with you that you should only switch to 5 year testing once they know you’re HPV negative. My most recent smear was in May this year and prior to that it was Oct 2017. It was delayed 7 months because of covid. I tested positive for HPV and had changes for the first time so I’m incredibly glad they didn’t wait another 18 months to call me for a smear. I would challenge this with your surgery. If they are still refusing I would get in touch with the health board. For peace of mind Superdrug do HPV testing. I wanted to know what strain I had so I ordered a test online, it arrived really quickly. Test was very easy and I posted it back the same day. Results came up on my online account around 5 days later.

1 Like

Thank you both so much for your replies.

That’s really good to know Superdrug do testing too, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future.

I have an appointment on Wednesday with my GP. They have said they will do a smear but ‘it may not be processed’. I am assuming this is because they still think this is classed an ‘early smear test’. I will definitely be challenging this with them. I’ve been having some irregular bleeding since last October and have been in touch with my gp since then about it - I had a blood test which was clear and it’s being put down to my cerazette contraceptive pill which I’ve now stopped and hoping this will settle things down. But it’s been very frustrating trying to get this smear test booked for peace of mind and which I know I’m now due. Hopefully my GP will listen and agree on Wednesday.

I also asked Jo’s Trust helpline about this issue and this is what they said:

“HPV primary screening was implemented in March 2020 in Scotland. At the same time, recall invitations of 1 or 5 years, depending on the result of the test, were introduced. However, if you have not previously had an HPV primary screening test, your original recall invitation date should remain the same. After this first test, if you do not have HPV or do not attend your appointment, you will move to 5 year recall invitations.

The best place to contact is your GP surgery, who should be able to advise whether you were tested for HPV in 2018 and query your recall date with the Cervical Screening Programme, or the NHS Inform helpline on 0800 22 44 88.”

This confirmed what I had been thinking. Hopefully all will go well on Wednesday. It’s been very frustrating trying to get a straight answer from my GP on this. Covid causing delays with screening appointments being issued hasn’t helped either!

Thanks again

2 Likes

That’s good you’ve got an appointment, it sounds like someone has got their wires crossed at the surgery. If your symptoms are still persisting I would say to push for a colposcopy for peace of mind, regardless of the smear test results. It’s very common and as you say it could be your contraceptive pill but all irregular bleeding should be investigated.

2 Likes

Thank you @Lynnie1, I will definitely keep that in mind if my symptoms persist. Sorry to hear you had changes this time with your test and wishing you well x

1 Like

The whole thing really frustrates me. I wish I’d paid privately for a yearly smear test as even the three yearly ones in England didn’t prevent the CC that I had. My last one was in 2017 which was clear but that was before they started testing for HPV, then the one I had in 2020 was positive with high grade cell changes. Then cancer. Fact it’s five years in Scotland horrifies me. Go private is my advice.

2 Likes