Small amount of HPV found through biopsy

Hello everyone, 

My name is Amy and I am 18 years old. My mind has been all over the place since my colposcopy, I had been getting postcoital bleeding and painful intercourse so I went to my GP who said I had a large cervical ectropion covering most of my cervix. She referred me to see a gynaecologist who then told me my cervix looked normal, I had been having these symptoms for 3 years with the same partner, so I was really frustrated that I was going back and forward! They eventually took swabs for infection etc which all came back normal, they referred me for a colposcopy and the colpocopist took a biopsy as she saw a patch of abnormal cells. I waited 3 weeks for the results which she wrote a very small not very detailed letter saying they had found a small amount of HPV and they want me to go back for another colposcopy in 12 months time. I don't know what to do with myself or what this means? As an 18 year old girl with no knowledge about this kind of stuff I'm so worried that it is going to develop into cancer. Does this mean that the type of HPV on my cervix is the same type that causes cervical cancer? Does this mean I have precancerous cells? Anyone who could give me more detail on this I would appreciate it so much.

Amy x

I can't help but I know how scary it is as I'm having a similar experience. Do you mind me how long it took for your coloscopy? I had an appointment today and after examination I had an erosion. 

could you maybe speak to your gp and ask them to go over what's going on? Waiting for 12 months for another seems a long time to be worrying!

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a similar experience, it is really scary. I was seen for an initial examination by gynae within 2 weeks and had the colposcopy about 4 weeks after I saw my GP, the colposcopy only took about 20 minutes including the biopsy, the results took a few weeks to get to me was a letter in the post! My cervical erosion came and went I think it's something to do with hormones and contraception can cause them too. 

I think I will make a GP appointment about the results but just feel like it's pointless as the GPs at my practice I don't feel like they listen to me very well, it's  taken 3 years for them to get me investigated properly! Cervical erosion isnt linked to cancer which is really reassuring, it's more of an annoyance but it did lead to them finding HPV in my cervix! Just wish I knew more about what that means for me, hope everything is okay for you x

Amy x