Side effects

Hi all!
I’m mid cycle with chemo and while my energy levels have returned and I’m back to being mummy I am dealing with mouth ulcers, running nose, chapped lips and the beginnings of a cold. My hair has also been coming out, I’m finding it everywhere, on the kids, couch, floor, dinner…my scalp is also incredibly tender. My “new hair” (can’t quite handle wig) has arrived in store so I go today to try it and hopefully get it home…now.for the task of shaving my hair off… I think for me the hair falling out and the pain is harder to handle than having no hair at all…but that may change when it’s gone. Just wondered if anyone had any tips from their own experience…
Well wishes to all… L x

Hello LT

I hope you are doing okay and glad your engergy levels are back!

As far as the mouth ulcers go i was prescribed a gel like substance to rub on my gums and the inside of my cheeks after eating and drinking, i also was prescribed some mouthwash that came in two parts it was labled as A and B you pour them together in a glass and use as normal. I found these to be very helpful and took the pain away.

I didnt have ulcers so to speak but the skin on the inside of my mouth was peeling away and sometimes felt sore.

The cold could be down to your immune system as the chemo kills your blood cells off and makes you unable to fight off infection.

I have no experience on the hair loss unfortunately but one of my friends lost her her when having treatment for breast cancer and she said the pain instantly went when she shaved her head and she found baby shampoo to be a lot more gentle on her scalp.

Take care xxx

Hi LT :-)

So sorry to read this. Sorry I have no similar experiences to share with you so just sending you hugs

(((((HUGS)))))

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi LT

I can fully sympathise with you. I got a horrendous cold halfway through my induction chemo and it certainly didnt help matters.   I found the hair shedding quite traumatic too, but I think mine was probably slower and more drawn out because of using a cold cap. It was still coming out well in to February and my treatment finished mid-December. I actually had it cut short about 4 weeks after my treatment finished but didnt shave it. It's a bit tufty at the minute, although it's growing, so I think shaving it off and starting again might have been a better option. I used a sulphate-free shampoo called Osmo as recommended by my hairdresser and didn't really suffer with the painful or sore scalp. 

Hope the cold soon lifts.

Lisa xxx

Hi lt 

I've had the odd snotty nose but managed to stop it getting to anything else. Mouth ulcers etc I have had since week one and I have mouthwash and some medication too but also find that if I suck in sugar free sweets, chew gum etc it keeps my mouth wet which helps. My hair has just started shedding too so not quite ready to shave it yet as its just strands coming away at the moment I may get a few more days out of it 

Thanks for all replies/support,

I got my new hair on Thursday and felt happy with it, although found it to be too uncomfortable esp with my own hair underneath and the pain from my scalp. My hair had been coming out in handfuls and I had noticed balding/thinning especially at the front of my head where my fringe normally is. I couldn't handle seeing my hair over furniture, kids, etc so made the decision on Fri night to shave. My husband stepped in and done it for me, I broke my heart the full time, but the tenderness has now gone and new hair feels comfier. I thought I would be one for head scarfs but I'm actually finding them very comfortable, although I've yet to leave the house wearing one!  

My cold isn't mounting to much, just a lingering sore throat/dry cough but trying my best to get rid for next chemo! 

As for the mouth ulcers I was given a tip to use coconut oil and it has worked well, even taken the tenderness from my gums away - Louisemdm I would give it a try if u can get the oil! 

I have had quite a busy week of 'normality' but that I think.has exhausted me and this weekend so far has been spent in bed as I've been floored with no energy. Keep forgetting (if that's possible)  that I am actually sick (cancer is pretty serious huh) and my usual busy 'normality' may have to be adjusted for a newer, slower paced routine! 

Hope your all well xxxx

Hi LT, 

How are you feeling today? Hope you shook the cold hunni xxx