Should I have Smear Test

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined and wanted some advice. I'm 35 and have just started bleeding inbetween periods and have never had a smear test in my life. I have a history of childhood sexual abuse which is partly why I haven't been-it's too traumatic-I suffer from severe PTSD but I'm now a little worried. I have the opportunity to go for one at my local GUM clinic on Monday and have arranged for a friend to come with me but I'm bottling it and feel too scared to go CryCryCry In the back of my mind there is some sense that it is something I should do. I just don't know, I'm confusing myself.

Hello,

Well done for booking that smear test, even making the appointment can't have been easy. There are many reasons why women can bleed in between periods, but worthwhile having a smear as you haven't been able to have one before. It's good you've got a friend going with you.

If you feel able to say something it may help, even if it's just 'I've had a bad experience when I was younger and I'm really anxious.' This can help them to be aware and to especially make sure they go at a pace thats slow enough for you. Also it may help to know that there are different size speculums that they can use, so you could ask if they can use a small one right away, rather than with them trying with the biggest  from the offset. The smallest isn't much bigger than a tampon.

I don't know if this helps at all, but if you can find a way to do it, at least you can be properly checked, which will help with any anxiety in that area. Take care and all the best to you x

Hi,

You should go for the smear test hunny. Bleeding inbetween periods is not something to be ignored it could be a number of things but it needs to be checked out. Having a smear is honestly nothing to worry about. I understand your anxiety because of you past but it only takes 5 minuets and it will be over before you know it. Smear tests are really important they can pick up early changes before they become a problem it will put your mind at rest. Xx

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm determined to try my best but I am wavering, it's awful. Everything should be so easy, the hospital is a 5 minute walk from my house, I mean you couldn't get any closer unless you moved in :) I'm scared :( but kind of driven by the thought that the longer I leave it the more they may have to fiddle with me.

hi

, would it be possible to ask the Dr for a mild sedative maybe something to relax you?

please try not to worry, as the ladies have said there are a number of reasons you could be bleeding, you are doing the right thing best wishes xx

Complete disaster. I took 4 Diazepam tablets but they couldn't do it so I guess it's a no smear for me and just pray for the best. Oh well, I tried. Thanks for everyone's encouragement, it really helped me actually get there.

Hello there. 

Just read your post. I'm lying here wishing I could help you. I know how scary it is the thought of having a smear. I'm 31 and only had my 1st smear 2 years ago.  I never wanted to go. The thought just got me so stressed out. I never really understood the reason behind having a smear. But now I lie here 31 years of age with no uterus cervix fallopian tubes. Wishing if I just went earlier I may not be in this position. Even worse if I hadn't gone when I did I could be lying here in a much worse position.  As the ladies said there's so many different reasons behind bleeding between periods. But unfortunately cancer can be one of them. I can't even imagine what you must have gone through in your past. But this is your future.  Do not be disheartened that it didn't happen this time. But make it happen for you own good. Speak to your own GP since they'll understand about your PTSD. Maybe they could do it under general anaesthetic.  You never know. Thinking of you at this time. And I hope in time you can get a smear so it eases your mind. Sorry if I sound harsh, I regret putting my smear of and thank my husband so much that he persisted telling me to do it.Cause it scares me to think that I could be much worse of now. Take care. 

Big hugs Sparklz x

Thanks for that Sparklz and really hope things are going ok for you now? I salute your husband :)

It's just a nightmare and you just don't know what to do but really you do-it's just not something you want to. I have made an appointment for early next week for my GP to talk about what my next move should be. I don't think the bleeding will stop by itself as it has been 4 months not just 1 month so evidently it's not going to stop by itself worst luck.

UPDATE.

Really glad I went to the GP as have an appointment for an ultrasound and a quick referral to a female Consultant Gynacologist now.

Hey just wanted to say that's great news. So glad you went to your GP, I hope you don't have to wait to long for an appointment. Will be thinking of you. Big hugs. X

Hi Georgia,

Sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time in the past that it makes now all the more difficult. Please do go and have this test, it's incredibly important, I put mine off for way too long and I was lucky, I don't have any bits any more but I'm alive and doing stuff I love to do. I shall be thinking of you until we hear from you again so please let us know how you get on with the test.

Big love

Tivoli

xxxxx

Hi, thanks for your posts the scan is on Monday and the Consultant is on the 22nd Sept so not long to wait. Ot was alot quicker than I thought it would be.

It would be great of they gave you scan results there and then but I know they don't.

I'll keep you updated as things happen. Fingers crossed for the best. Glad  I went to the GUM now as all the simple things are eliminated which means less tests by the Consultant....no tests would be better.

Well, the ultrasound was completely clear which is good news. Onwards to the hospital now I guess.

Ladies, ladies,

Thanks for the encouragement as without it I may not have made it to the hospital.

The Gynaecologist was so, so nice (my GP had forwarned her of my issues) and left it up to me if I wanted to be examined. I managed it and she did an internal ...amazing...I would have never imagined it possible. There are no lesions and everything looks healthy but as everyone else does just waiting for the results now. :)

Ladies, ladies,

Thanks for the encouragement as without it I may not have made it to the hospital.

The Gynaecologist was so, so nice (my GP had forwarned her of my issues) and left it up to me if I wanted to be examined. I managed it and she did an internal ...amazing...I would have never imagined it possible. There are no lesions and everything looks healthy but as everyone else does just waiting for the results now. :)

Well done :) firstly for even getting there and secondly getting the deed done. Fingers crossed for the results for you x

That's amazing news. So glad you managed to do it. You should be very proud of your self! Sending huge cyber hugs your way. ;)  xxx

Well done, you must feel elated to have got this far. Now you can never deny the amount of strength inside you.

Best of luck with your results, let us know xx

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to let you know that the smear came back normal :):) and the swab showed no sign of any infections either :):):) I just want to say thanks for all your support and encouragement as I would have never made it otherwise.

G xxx.

Hurrah!

Georgia that is just the best news ever! Well done you for facing up to it all, well done the staff for making it possible for you and well done Lady Fortune for keeping you well.

You won't put off future tests now will you?? Promise??

Go well

Tivoli

xxxxx