Should I ask for a smear test? Worried

Hi,

Well I’ve just written a very long post and I don’t think it posted! I’ll try to remember what I can.

I’m 27. Always had irregular periods… anywhere from 3-14 days late. No contraception. One previous normal smear 2.5 ish years ago.

I had my first baby 11 months ago. Before periods returned I experienced bloody discharge every 2 weeks or so. Swabs taken and antibiotics due to previous infection of stitches but came back clear.

Since then, two to three days following a period I have been experiencing over a week of bloody discharge… including blood streaked, bloody, pink and brown.

Had ultrasound in July. Identified blood flow in uterus, suspected polyp, referred to gynae. Hysteroscopy and uterine biopsy in Nov, everything looked normal and biopsy clear.

Last period as well as the ‘usual’ bloody discharge I had a week of brown blood which is new. GP said as gynae was clear this could be my new normal due to childbirth changes and gave me contraception info, but this is something I’d like to avoid if possible.

I’m now awaiting my period and past 4 days have had very light spotting once or twice a day, today more bloody discharge like. My question is should I return to GP and request a smear test? As far as I’m aware my cervix is the one thing that’s not been checked this whole time.

It’s been almost a year, and with having my baby I’m absolutely terrified something bad may be going on, especially as my symptoms are changing and if anything getting worse. Whenever a symptom occurs, especially a new one, my anxiety is off the scale. I’m very lucky to have a supportive partner as it is affecting my life a lot both physically and mentally!

I have experienced discomfort during sex but have put this down to having a baby. Was fine before and does seem to be improving. Told GP who looked inside and said all looks fine. Also not sure if relevant but I’ve not had period pain or any other pre menstrual symptoms since I had my baby, so I’ve not had major pain, maybe some mild cramping.

Sorry for the long post, and if you have gotten this far your advice and experience would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Hi Bronte

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing some symptoms that are worrying you. We would always recommend booking an appointment with your GP if you're experiencing any sympoms outside of your 'normal'. That way they can do some appropriate investigations. You can also pop a question over to our Ask The Expert service here https://www.jostrust.org.uk/support/ask-expert  Our panel of experts are great at answering queries.

Best wishes
Rebecca