Advice before smear

Hi Everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking for advise as a little worried and my head is buzzing.

Back in 2009 I had a smear test and bleed during this. I received a letter that I had low grade abnormalities and then referred to Colposcopy clinic where I had a biopsy. Results were fine and was reviewed regular and discharged back to 3 yearly smears.

Fast forward for the last 6 months I’ve had heavy discharge sometime yellow (sorry TMI), I have what I can only describe is a sharp pain in the left of pelvis area, like a spasm or cramp when I some times move quickly. I put this down to too much pressure of weaker muscles as have has previously two sections. My periods have changed to different time of the month, and are very heavy only lasting about 3 days.

I have now started noticing bleeding after sex, this was a little amount at first. I just put it down to being near to period starting or the end of my period. What’s worrying me is the last twice I’ve had sex, I have had a large bleed that is bright red straight after then nothing after this bleed and no where near my time of the month.

I am booked in for a smear at the end of the month as it’s now due. Do you think I should call and ask for this quicker or not to panic and wait for that appointment.

Sorry for the long post, I am usually a fit and healthy person and never like to burden anyone. But now I’m adding all this up and getting worried.

Hi Anna84 and welcome

I think you should get a GP appointment asap to dicuss your symptoms. If required, the GP can give you an urgent referral which usually means you get seen within 2 weeks.

I’ve experienced abnormal discharge and bleeding so I can empathise with how worrying it can be; unfortunately my symptoms did turn out to be cervical cancer. Easy to say but try not to jump to worst case conclusions because there are a number of reasons, other than cancer, that could explain your symptoms. Also try and resist the temptation to self diagnose with Dr Google as it most likely won’t be helpful and will probably just cause anxiety.

x

Thank you Jazza for your response. It’s a horrible feeling, first time I’ve ever been concerned about my health. Hope all is well with your journey.

I will call the GP today :relieved:

1 Like

I had my smear this morning. Nurse said no polyp or erosion seen. Told her about bleeding after sex.

When she touch the cervix instant bleeding. But not putting through is an urgent referral. I’m confused :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

had my smear this morning. Nurse said no polyp or erosion seen. Told her about bleeding after sex.

When she touch the cervix instant bleeding. But not putting through is an urgent referral. I’m confused

Hi Anna84

It’s best to get a second opinion if you’re not clear or happy about any aspect of your care. I suggest you make an GP appointment to discuss your symptoms. When I first presented to my GP with symptoms the first investigation was a swab to rule out infection; when the result came back negative I was referred for an ultrasound and thereafter given an urgent 2ww referral when I started to experience heavy bleeding - i was post menopuase and not on HRT so any bleeding was defo abnormal for me.

x

1 Like

Due to your symptoms they should have referred you straight to the colposcopy clinic and skipped the smear test. A smear will only show up the hpv virus, not any abnormal cells. I would call them back and insist the doctor refer to you colposcopy on the 2 week fast track due to bleeding, pain and abnormal discharge. I had one abnormal bleed a couple of years ago, i saw the GP and she referred me straight away. I did have some cervical errosion on my cervix which she noticed when she examined me, so maybe thats why she made the referral. But she said she was happy to skip the smear and refer me to put my mind at rest if nothing else. It turned out to be nothing, the bleed was a hormonal blip and the erosion was just that and nothing more sinister. Its good that the nurse couldnt see anything that looked abnormal as they do know what they’re looking for, so take that as a postive for sure, but if it were me i would be asking to be referred for a colposcopy, even if smear comes back normal.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply :relieved: I’ve been thinking about my last time I was at colposcopy around about 2009? Think I had abnormal cells, but hpv negative. My last smear came back normal and worried that they only now test for HPV and won’t pick up anything else.

I’m going to back to GP If this persists, even if smear comes back normal.

Hi Anna,
I recently had a colopscopy as had spotting. I was peri menopausal so put it down to that. I went to GP because of ovarian pain due to cysts and mentioned the spotting. She referred me and colopscopy showed a healthy cervix. Had an internal ultra sound which showed thickening in my uterus. I was then referred for Hysteroscopy which showed polyps and so had these removed there and then which took me by surprise but atleast I wasn’t fretting about it. Also a biopsy of the thickening. Results came back as abnormal cells which had a high risk of changing cancerous. I had already requested a hysterectomy as I am 53 and had my children. Had everything taken out ( uterus , ovaries, fallopian tubes and cervix).I am now 4 weeks post op and free of worrying .
It is personal choice but insist on what you want to happen to your body. Please try not to worry as I am a dreadful worrier also for doctor Googling!!!
From beginning to having hysterectomy it took about 4 weeks so can’t complain about waiting time.
Nicci

1 Like

Thank you Nicci for taking the time to respond. What a journey you have been on. I’m trying not to worry about, actually feel better about the whole thing since she didn’t see visible concerns during the smear. Scared to have intercourse again though but my husband works away so maybe good timing. I’m hoping I will get my smear results through in good time and follow up. Still discharge and a niggle at left ovary side but overall feel good. X

Hi Anna,
So glad your feeling more positive. Being a women certainly isn’t without its problematic areas!! Your doctor seems happy and these symptoms are so common that they are pretty clued up if it’s cause for concern.
Intercourse is the last thing on my mind right now and my husband thankfully is very understanding and patient.
Wishing you a speedy remedy to what I am sure is nothing to worry about :heart:x
Nicci

1 Like

Hi Anna, I really don’t want to worry you and I’m sure all is ok but I’m making it my mission to help and advise women with any concerns following what happened to me. I like you (late 2020) had a smear result indicating that I was HPV positive (since found out that it was HPV 16 which is one that can turn to cancer). I had a colopscopy where I was assured all was fine to then be followed by yearly smears. The following year I had a smear that said I was still HPV positive but my smear was clear. A month later I started to get lower back pain (this is a symptom of cervical cancer) and just didn’t feel right (although no break through bleeding or anything). I was sent for an ultrasound but nothing was picked up, went through months of private physio (to be told it that the pain was due to bad posture) but my back pain just got worse and eventually a few months later extreme bleeding which I was informed was all normal?? by my Gp and all part of the change (I’m 51 but never had extreme bleeding). Eventually I pushed for further tests and finally diagnosed with 3C (1) cervical cancer and I’ve recently completed treatment. I’m just about to go down the road of complaint as I believe something was missed at one of these stages as there’s no way I would’ve started to get symptoms so soon after a clear smear result. As I say, I really don’t want to alarm but I’d say it is safer to request further examinations as you know you’re own body. I wish I’d had the information that I know now as I’m sure this could’ve all been picked up sooner if I’d know more. I hope all will be ok for you.

Thank you RT102 for taking your time to help others on this site which is just fab. I really appreciate all the advice and support. I was happy that the nurse did not visually see anything abnormal which has put me in a better head space but I also know that bleeding after intercourse is not ok. Especially after reading everyone journey on this site I will definitely get further appointment with GP. I am hoping that I do get called back to colposcopy so I can get a in-depth assessment. If I don’t then will definitely request further assessment, I’ve got two young girls at home. The nurse said 4 weeks maximum for smear results in my county (Scotland).

I’ll let you know how I get on with this! Thanks :blush:

1 Like