Sex after chemorads

Hi all,

so im 6 weeks post treatment of 5 chemo 25 radio 3 bracytherapy. Just had my 6 week check all looking ok so far still healing with scar tissue downstairs.

I don’t even know how to start this conversation or how to word it.

when did everyone start having sex again after undergoing similar treatment to me!

i use the dilators regular which I hate but better that than the outcome it I don’t. I only use the 2nd size up which is ok no pain or bleeding, I tried the 3rd size up a couple of times and I really didn’t like it, was painful very difficult to insert, it also made me realise how much down there had changed.

ive never really had much of a sex drive pre cancer and have even less of one now, it really wouldn’t bother me if I never had it again, but I have a wonderful partner with needs. He’s so understanding and has been with me every step of the way, he has asked on a couple of occasions if we can start again (he’s gone months and months without) I just don’t know if I can Physically or mentally it’s so scary. Im worried if it hurts I’m worried if I bleed I’m worried of getting infections, I really want to start for his sake. We’ve been together 10 years now and get married in August it would be nice if I could get myself sorted a little for then ;)

Any tips or advice would be greatfully received 

Marie x

Hi Marie

No advice on sex unfortunately as my partner is awaiting organ transplant so not much going on in that department for us lol but with the dilators are you using a lubricant? I use Sylk with the dilator and then a pessary vaginal moisturiser moisturiser called Feminesse 3 x weekly both on prescription from my GP organised by my cancer nurse they have made a huge difference and am managing the largest size xx

Thanks for your reply weepingwillow, sorry to hear about your partner hope he gets his organ very soon.

i have been using a lubricant with the dilators use the optilube satchets which the hospital gave me after treatment. Might have to try a moisturiser too see if that helps. Maybe it’s a case of just grin and bare it for a few times till it gets easier. Thank you 

I think after about 2 months or so we started trying. It’s been somewhat uncomfortable for me. I’ll be 3 years out in October. I did end up on hormone therapy a few months ago, and with vaginal suppositories for moisture sex has just started to feel good to me. It still feels different and awkward in there, with the shortening of the vagina, but it is at least enjoyable again. A good lube is a must have as well. I have not been good with the dialators though. So do better then I did and maybe you won’t have as many issues.