Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy...

Ok…I didn’t think they did sentinel node biopsy in the UK for cervical cancer. I’m in Australia and I believe they follow the UK guidelines… Don’t believe they do it here. It wasn’t offered to me…

Hi there…not sure I’ve already messaged you, but just wondering where you had the sentinel node biopsy done?? Where are you located? It’s not offered where I am and they want to remove my pelvic nodes and biopsy them after. They may not need to be removed so I’m thinking to travel somewhere they do…thank you…Sandi

Hi there,

I just thought I would let you know that my family doctor sent a referral to Princess Margaret and they set up an appt for me with Sarah Ferguson. I have to fly back from Australia to start the process though. I did speak with another doctor from Sunnybrook who said he could book me in for the surgery. He says a simple hysterectomy done laparoscopically is safe for me along with sentinel node biopsy. It’s so different from what they advised here, I worry that one is too extreme and the other isn’t extreme enough. I don’t know how to feel about it. I keep thinking if I wasn’t in Australia I would only have the guidance of doctors in Toronto and wouldn’t have the comparison. They scare me here that I will not be doing enough without doing a more radical surgery. They don’t offer sentinel node biopsy where I am in Australia, and they recommend radical hysterectomy not simple, as well as to do it abdominally. A doctor in Europe and Toronto say I don’t need to do it that way. I’m trying to wrap my head around it. I don’t want to do too much but I don’t want to do ‘not enough’ either. Ugh!

It’s a tough call. You should discuss your options with dr Ferguson. She will give you her honest opinion and the best plan to follow. At the end of the day the decision is yours but they caught the cancer early so extreme measures shouldn’t have to be taken. But I’m not a doctor.

Yeah. I hope they get me in soon. Was yours considered cervical cancer since it was in a polyp? If so what stage were you? Sounds like yours was a bit different…

Yes. The polyp was on my cervix. My cancer for some reason grew into the polyp. Basically once it was removed, there was no sign of cancer.